Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 80

Plugs1, BigKev, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive kickdown switch position
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
Where is the adjustment for the overdrive kickdown switch position? Mine is so far down the pedal that it does not function until the carb starter solenoid engages.

Posted on: 2019/8/2 9:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Overdrive kickdown switch position
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I suggest you look into your car starter switch. The kickdown should be at a point beyond full throttle. The start position is somewhat before 3/4 throttle. BUT, the starter switch should never engage the starter while the car is running. If so it is assembled wrong. Pull the starter switch out and make certain that the notch on the actuator that contacts the ball is facing UP.

Posted on: 2019/8/2 10:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
Thanks for your quick reply. The carb starter switch is disconnected; car starts with a button on the dash. The problem is that the car starts running terribly once you push the accel all the way down, and does not run correctly until the OD disengages. I theorized that it had something to do with the carb starter because i did not realize that carb starter is 3/4 down. Is it possible that (nonfunctioning) carb starter is not installed incorrectly and causing a flood or something?

Posted on: 2019/8/2 11:21
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

henneyowner
See User information
When you engage the kickdown switch it activates an ignition interrupter as a portion of the kick down cycle. You probably have a wire either shorted out or possibly miss-wired. There might also be a faulty solenoid or governor involved.

Posted on: 2021/1/16 13:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved