Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Good price, considerations for 1936 Packard 120 Luxury Touring Sedan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
The car seems to be the 992 One Twenty Touring Sedan which is the only model in 1936 that has doors that open from the center. Somehow the car came with or was modified to have spare side tire mounts. I don't see these as options for the 120 model though. Yet other 992's also have the side mounts.

https://en.wheelsage.org/packard/120/1936/touring_sedan/pictures/cdntpm/

Posted on: 2019/8/7 20:07
1937 Packard Super Eight Convertible, model 1502 in Blue
1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - Maroon, Body 2279
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - green
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - black
1949 Oldsmobile
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible Coupe
1993 Bentley Brooklands Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Quote:
What has me puzzled is the LUXURY part of the name. Was there such a car in the 120B line in 1936? The doors are suicide types which I don't see on other 120 sedans so something is different.

Hi Daren, Congratulations on the 'near-purchase' of your 'new' Packard; looks like a fine car. Re your questions, it may be possible the seller is 'inserting' the word 'Luxury' into the description to bolster the status and appeal of the car and, as far as the suicide doors, I believe they are standard issue for the year and model.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?model=775 (the vehicles shown on the model info on this site all have suicide doors) Chris

Posted on: 2019/8/7 20:16
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Where abouts in Utah? I'm located just 45 minutes south of Salt Lake and if you give me a list of things you'd like me to check out I can do my best. And if it's beyond my abilities there's a restoration shop I've worked with that perhaps would be willing to perform a pre purchase inspection.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 20:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
I'm not Daren but that's OK. I was just confused by the Packard Model Info which did not show the side mounted spares but they seem to be standard for the 992 model.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 20:34
1949 Oldsmobile
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
Trevor it's in Herriman, UT

I can get you the actual address of David Dorius. send me your email or use mine at fredrump@gmail.com

Sure would be nice to have a third party take a look at what is supposed to be a near perfect car. I'd be paying top dollar for it. Nothing is supposed to be wrong with it.
Fred

Quote:

Trevor K. wrote:
Where abouts in Utah? I'm located just 45 minutes south of Salt Lake and if you give me a list of things you'd like me to check out I can do my best. And if it's beyond my abilities there's a restoration shop I've worked with that perhaps would be willing to perform a pre purchase inspection.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 21:18
1949 Oldsmobile
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Fred(22 series),
Little but for including your '49 Super Eight Victoria Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Back "on topic",
when you puchase the '36 120B don't forget the Registry!

EDIT - Above Registry Entry was a duplicate and has now been deleted.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 22:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Firstly, there is no such designation of "Luxury" as related to, or differentiating this sedan (992) from any other. Sidemounts were simply an option. I have not looked beyond the picture posted, so my comment is merely from limited perspective, but the sidemounts seem awfully high on the fenders, a trait suggesting the sidemounts may be from a '35. Gimme more pictures and I can provide more than a jaded comment. 40K is over top dollar for this car, but surely something is drawing you to this specific car, so who am I to judge what it is worth to you. Nevertheless, I strongly urge you, as I would anyone, to see it, touch it, and drive it yourself before making a decision. You might find the smile on your face even greater than anticipated, or be darned glad you listened to what you know is good advice.

Finally, as to the "140" line, you may be trying to comprehend Packard's series identification, 1401, 1402, etx refer to the 14th series Eights and Super 8's which are a TOTALLY different category of cars, often referred to as "senior" Packards. Much more expensive cars....

DAF

Posted on: 2019/8/7 22:42
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
I will get more pictures into my computer but essentially they are the same as those shown on the old Ebay ad. 35K or so seems to be the high value for a clean vehicle like this. I know that. My desire to own it stems from the 'tale' that it is in just about perfect condition. I hope I can get someone to go and look at it in Herriman, Utah to verify that. In other words, I don't want to start fixing the car once I get it home to Naples. I'll pay extra for that feature. I wanted a car as old as I am that didn't need fixing.

It was a front cover car back in the Cormorant in 1984 already and has been well taken care of since. "Packard's One Twenty, Just a Great Prewar Car".

Posted on: 2019/8/7 23:50
1949 Oldsmobile
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
OK, I understand your perspective of willing to pay a premium for a premium car. If we are to set aside what the pictures show, let's concentrate on whether it drives as well as it looks - many trailer queens have never been sorted since being restored - sticky brakes, steering/suspension issues, square tires, overheating or non-peak performance issues. If you accept and are satisfied with the appearance, focus on driveability.
My standard suggestion is to be there for cold start, drive for 10 minutes to get used to it, local roads. Stop. Do several start/stops around the neighborhood. Now highway drive it for 15-20 minutes, just shy of beating the crap out of it, to understand the performance limitations.
Get it good and worked out. Pull over at a rest stop or whatever and idle it in the hot sun for a full 5 minutes. Watch the temperature closely - if it doesn't overheat, consider yourself lucky. Drive it almost back to where you started, and for the last bit get stuck in traffic or "pretend" you are doing a small parade, i.e. crawl speed, shouldn't be problem. When you get back to your car, you will know whether you want to own it. I know its a long way for you to travel, hope you can do it yourself, or by all means, have a clear understanding of how well the car has been sorted and its driving characteristics. The usual "does it drive" by an independent inspector that does not put the car to any meaningful test is not sufficient.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2019/8/8 7:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

I'll second the great advice Flackmaster has given. Cars can look great in photos and be miserable wrecks when it comes to drivability. For the $35K-$40K demanded for this car, there is no substitute for an in-person, objective assessment by yourself to determine whether it meets your standards.

The availability of restored 1935-'37 120 touring sedans is very good, especially the latter two years. You are seeking a car that doesn't need extensive work to enjoy, be very selective. There is one out there, likely for a price more realistic than this car.

Steve

PS: When I see words like "LUXURY" added to cars that were never promoted as such to begin with, its a red flag the seller is trying to imply a prestige not warranted to increase the sale price. Caveat emptor.

For comparison, check this one in New Jersey too:
A '36 120B touring sedan with sidemounts:
https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/asbury-classic-packard/6940857941.html

Posted on: 2019/8/8 9:11
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved