Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44) 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If your 6-volt lead/acid batteries aren't outlasting their 12-volt counterparts by atleast a year or two, your charging system is not performing up to snuff.

Posted on: 2019/8/12 20:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Well I can't explain the behavior the starters did when hooked directly to the batteries, but on a whim I replaced the entire ground cable and finally the car turned over (must have had damaged wire in it). In fact it kept turning over even when I took my foot off the gas! Some violent stomps up and down on the gas pedal made it behave again. Now the problem is the starter keeps running after the car starts! I took the vacuum switch off the carb to clean it and the outer rim disintegrated. Now I have to jump the terminals to get it to start again. I don't want to go with a starter button (I like starting it with the gas pedal) so I will have to try to find the carb from my old car to steal the switch from or source another used one. At least I can move the car!

Posted on: 2019/8/13 17:47
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Maybe it is one of those gas/electric hybrid Packards??

Posted on: 2019/8/13 20:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Naw I would be getting a lot better gas mileage!

Posted on: 2019/8/14 18:38
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Your not getting 20mpg?? Cause they did on the Mobil Gas Run back in the day.

Posted on: 2019/8/14 21:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On the 1560 mile trip to the national and back my 51 200 got 17.3 running at 65 most of the way. Not shabby for a car with aerodynamics of a barn door.

Posted on: 2019/8/15 6:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Ross, was that with an ultra or a stick and overdrive?

Posted on: 2019/8/15 8:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, overdrive and the 288 engine with its original 2 bbl carb. Love those 288s.

Posted on: 2019/8/15 9:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
12/7/2020

Let me vent for a moment. One of my biggest pet peeves are people who light fireworks when it's not the forth of July. Don't get me wrong, when it's holiday appropriate I have no problem with people setting off fireworks. I prefer the ones that give a show in the sky instead of the noise makers, but I'm fine with it. Even New Years would be fine.

Well Sunday night around 9pm....B A M !!! Sounded like someone lit off an M80. Dogs are barking, my kid is shook up, everyone is caught off guard. My neighbors to my left are notorious firework users preferring the noise making type. I ran to the window to catch them in their back yard, but didn't see anyone. Thanks a lot for disrupting our nice evening jerks!!

Anyway back to the car. I haven't driven it all year. Just no time and what not. I have been trying to start it regularly though. Saturday night I tried and I got one crank and then nothing. I guess the battery is weak. I noticed I had left the battery cables loose so I cleaned the terminals and tightened them down to see if that worked. Nope, no crank at all so I hooked it up to the charger and put the hood down in case it rained overnight.

Sunday I didn't bother trying to start it. Wanted to make sure the battery got a really good charge.

Monday when I got home it was already dark. Rather than disconnect the battery I figured I would see if it started while still on the charger. Click Click Click Click is all I heard. I can't believe this! That battery should be fully charged by now! Lifted the hood and this is what I found...

Attach file:

jpg  (120.60 KB)
508_5fcece1c451b3.jpg 608X1080 px

jpg  (119.74 KB)
508_5fcece2b4952d.jpg 608X1080 px

Posted on: 2020/12/7 19:52
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
...I guess I was the jerk making all that noise Sunday evening! My battery exploded! I put baking soda all over and poured buckets of water on it to dilute the acid. I don't see any damage so that's good.

What's the lesson to be learned here? Take off the vent caps when charging? I've never done that in the 22+ years of charging car batteries. Don't keep the charger under the hood while charging? Been doing that for years too.

Not sure what ultimately caused this but lesson learned to be more careful. I'm just grateful no one or anything was hurt. Maybe I'll invest in one of those gel batteries....and a new charger....

Posted on: 2020/12/7 19:56
[url=h
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44) 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved