Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 158

humanpotatohybrid, speedster1930, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Astonishing how rich some people are
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I watched an episode of "Chasing Class Cars" with Mike Carini in which he was serving as "advisor" to a gentleman who decided he wanted to start collecting top-tier classic cars.

My heavens! The nascent collector and Wayne flew--in the same day, no less- to examine two Mercedes in different parts of the country.

Later, Wayne advise the gentleman from spending at auction more than $300,000 for a 1935 boat-tail Auburn.

Since I'm what would be considered "poor white trash," I marvel that their are individuals who have such momentum resources.

Posted on: 2019/8/24 8:29
 Top  Print 

Re: Astonishing how rich some people are
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
We just have to be more creative......

Posted on: 2019/8/24 8:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Certainly that show is intended to impress with blatant displays of wealth but its a rarified world, not the one 99% of us live in. Let the babies have their bottle! I doubt seriously any of those wealthy fellows enjoy their costly collector cars any more than the folks on here with their modest old Packards.

The few I know with that type of wealth aren't ones who try to impress with it. They know they're fortunate enough to have access to that world. The rarities they have are of genuine interest and they feel the responsibility to be good conservators of some of the finest, more significant cars ever built.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/8/24 11:14
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Garrett,

Steve makes a couple of good points, a) that not all people that rich are frivolous about it, and b) that they don't enjoy their cars any more than us 'ordinary folks'. I submit that they probably don't enjoy them as MUCH, as they are usually very predisposed with what it takes to STAY that wealthy and by just cutting a cheque for a collector car, there isn't anywhere NEAR the satisfaction of getting one's hands dirty and actually working on getting them running and figuring out all the mechanical nuances inherent in cars that DON'T cost $300K+. I'm a sailor and it is no different in the boating world, there are those out there in exotic yachts and the 'rest of us' sailing nice, but not extravagant vessels, and I know for a fact that I put on way more miles of water under the keel than they ever will, because my boat is paid for and I have the time. At the end of the day, 'time' may be the most valuable resource out there. I went on a 2 year extended voyage a few years back, and ran into a guy down in the islands and after hearing our story, he said: 'oh, you guys are rich'. When I informed him that we were not, he said 'oh yes you are, you have time'. Never forgot that. It's all relative.... Chris.

Posted on: 2019/8/24 18:46
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
To my sailor friend and all my Packard friends. This reply should be framed...probably the most clear expression of what is wealth I have read in a long time. Time indeed....

Posted on: 2019/8/24 19:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks, David.

Posted on: 2019/8/25 10:18
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My boss is rich (over 4mil net worth) and has a 98 Mercedes that sits at one of the shipping docks rotting because he thinks its worth a ton as the last Mercedes model made in Germany. Nothing works right on the car. I'll take my '52 Packard and '66 Cad convertible any day. At least I enjoy them.

Posted on: 2019/8/28 19:06
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I have some 80's Mercedes diesels and they were the last true Mercedes cars. Anything after that I'd rather have a star in my windshield than on the hood!

Posted on: 2019/8/28 22:48
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved