Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Re: Jim's Packard powered "Indy" car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
What great talent you have. I am very impressed JimJr51. I'm enjoying viewing your work. Mal makes a great Photo Editor. Ernie, caretaker of the 1949 288 Deluxe 'Miss Prudence'.

Posted on: 2016/9/9 10:16
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jimjr51
See User information
Hello Ernie:
Thank you for the compliments on the car. I'm not sure if anybody really knows why I built this car. The reason is just as important as the build itself in my eyes. Ernie, when I was 5 to 7 years old, my favorite toy was a metal push car about 10 inches long that was in the shape of a 1930's Indy racer. I played with that simple car for years until I got interested in baseball, bicycles and other things. The little metal car was forgotten about until about 2 years ago I saw a program on TV about a bunch of old restored Indy cars going around a race track. Well the memories of that little car came flooding back to me. Finally I had to see if there was one for sale and the only one that I found was a restored 30's Indy car and it had a price tag of around $275,000 !! So I did the next best thing, I looked up the specs of an Indy car of that era. Knowing to start with a heavy rolling chassis, I came across the 1952 Chevy one ton rolling chassis. I guess the rest is history. I wasn't going to have the lack of money to buy one stop me from having one, so I made my own and it's far from perfect. I call this car, a "we" car, for if wasn't for some of my talented friends and local businesses that are so much more talented than I, this car wouldn't look this nice or be this far. So if you have a dream to build something, do it !! Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Just be sure to use a Packard drive train....Thanks again Ernie,
Jim

Posted on: 2016/9/9 13:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Update from Jim.

"We are....trying to get ready for Winter so this week and last, we have been doing yard work and winterizing the cars for storage including the Indy car. I had the Indy car in a part of the garage where my wifes car resides, but she gracefully gave it up so I could do the Indy build. I'm sorry to report that the Indy car didn't get finished this year. All the wiring is done and the clutch and brake pedals are made, adjusted and seem to work well, I moved the shifter handle over 3 inches to give me more leg room, so the interior is now complete. An Amish upholsterer did the interior which looks fantastic and I think is period correct for the 30's. All the lights work and the starting system is wired in and working, plus I have spark to the points. Unfortunately I am not at the stage to fire her up. Marty Carey, (from Northern Minnesota) is a Packard collector and mechanic is coming down next Spring to be there when we fire the Packard straight 8 up. During the build I had several water leaks, (actually a 50/50 anti-freeze mix) but now are repaired, also the fuel leaks were many including around and in the fuel pump, so I had to install an electric fuel pump. All leaks repaired now."

My comment: Although it gets cold here we don't have to lay up our cars for winter. Moving to the Southern Highlands, in 2014, was the only time I've lived anywhere it's snowed. And that was only once, and overnight! First time in about 20 years I was told. Brrrrrrr!

Posted on: 2016/10/31 18:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Been a long time between drinks, as they say. Was just thinking about Jim and his Indy car about a week ago when today, an email from Jim pops into the inbox!

Jim advised: "Greeting from Minnesota !! Long time no hear....

It's been over 3 years since we had contact involving "Indy", my homebuilt car....Over each winter Indy was put away, only to have been put on the back burner because of issues popping up. Anyway since we talked last, the build did proceed. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that enough "Gremlins" we eliminated so it would be road ready. There was several issues regarding faulty carb floats (sinking) which caused over flooding. The battery was finally replaced and eliminated a lot of electrical issues. The latest work I had to do was with the shifter. I installed 2 different shifters..... with each one I had great difficulty shifting through the neutral gate. Through trial and error and a lot of thought (plus a lot of root beer), I eliminated the single shift lever and installed 2 shift arms, one for forward and reverse and the left lever for 2nd and 3rd. It is a very short throw but works great.....lol. Anyway Mal, Indy has been to 2 car shows recently and took first place in the open wheel car class. I trailered Indy to the first car show, (it was 160 miles away from home). Coming your way is the latest car pictures powered by Packard.
"

And: "A few weeks ago I entered Indy in the local Applefest car show, between rain drops....lol."

Then, a little later: "One of the main issues I was confronted with was the overheating at idle. The build did consist of 2 cooling fans but a new WD-45 tractor radiator. To eliminate the over heating problem, I found access to a new 3 core WD-45 tractor radiator which works well. I also installed a coolant recovery system that helps. The radiator cap is a 14 pound PSI. Another gremlin was the charging system. The generator did charge when purchased used, but decided to quit. A few towns over I found an old electrical shop that still had the equipment to go through them. That problem is now eliminated.... So far....lol."

Here's to Jim, with a few root beers!

Attach file:

jpg  (165.73 KB)
226_5d9027413c127.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (284.88 KB)
226_5d902760a0093.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (298.40 KB)
226_5d9027ac813fb.jpg 1920X1003 px

jpg  (241.32 KB)
226_5d902837b47ef.jpg 1920X1241 px

jpg  (225.75 KB)
226_5d90297bba3a5.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/9/28 22:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...when I was 5 to 7 years old, my favorite toy was a metal push car about 10 inches long that was in the shape of a 1930's Indy racer...

Jim (jimjr51), from a metaphysical point of view, the gremlins are inside of you. To calm them down, you should look around for this metal push car.

Posted on: 2019/9/29 1:36
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jimjr51
See User information
Hello:
Thanks for the input, my wife might agree with you that the gremlins are inside me.... LOL, but materialistically, them little gremlins do find a way so I have to fine tune my work on the car. Unfortunately that little car I played with when I was little is gone, I wish I could get it back.
Thanks,
Jim

Posted on: 2019/9/29 5:41
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved