Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

12 volt conversion tune up
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Several years ago my father converted his 115C from 6 volt to 12 volt. I know that there will be many who will say that he shouldn't have done that, but he did.

My question is, will the tune up specs remain the same even though it is now a 12 volt system?

Posted on: 2019/11/3 12:10
 Top  Print 

Re: 12 volt conversion tune up
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The engine, distributor and advance curve would all have stayed the same so I would think the only thing that might possibly be changed would be the spark plug gap. A 12v coil producing maybe a hotter spark might have tempted your dad to use a wider plug gap more in line with current specs at the time of the conversion but that would not be a given or even necessary.

Posted on: 2019/11/3 15:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 12 volt conversion tune up
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For 12v, the spark plug gap is typically .032" and, if negative ground, that's what I would it to. However, my experience with the 10mm plugs is decades old so someone else might have newer information that applies to these small plugs, which I am presuming yours has.

Posted on: 2019/11/3 15:54
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved