Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: VIN verifications in California
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, given your interest in vehicle numbers and that you might have missed it when I posted it earlier, perhaps you'll find the attached document interesting, it's an example of prewar Packard documentation identifying key number locations. It's from Packard's "MISC" series of blue prints which include all manner of interesting information including things like engine and transmission assembly notes and specifications.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 238.73 KB; Hits: 62

Posted on: 2018/9/17 22:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I'm surprised that they are having a hard time accepting the fact that the ID tag is fastened to the car with screws. Chrysler products have done this for decades, including the muscle car era, when things get very expensive and there is desire to make counterfeit "muscle cars" from more pedestrian offerings.

Posted on: 2018/9/18 10:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
OD, thank you for the reminder! I've seen it in the past but forgot about it until now so will save a copy on my iPad for offline reference as much of my work is in rural areas without any sort of Internet connection,

Posted on: 2018/9/18 16:16
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

foodprotector
See User information
What is the best way to request past owner information on my 1941 Packard which was originally sold in Beverly Hills? I just want document past owners in CA. I have the original Data Plate showing engine number and Packard Beverly Hills stamp.

Posted on: 2019/11/11 8:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don may be able to give more specific details but I think you will be out of luck getting anything from the state which would be about the only way to track ownership. Without state records, the only way to trace previous owners will be if you have word of mouth or some kind of unofficial paper trail from somewhere else. Unknown if anyone has any of the dealership records from that specific dealer but I expect those would only provide the first owner.

As to the state, California drops vehicles out of the system if they have not been continually registered for, I think, 5 years. If it has been longer than that since being registered in Calif there will be no records. Even if the car is still in the system, due to an actress being stalked and murdered a few years ago by someone who found her address thru DMV, after that happened there was a state law enacted that prohibits DMV from sharing any info with someone other than need to know law enforcement thru a special computer hookup or a warrant.

Posted on: 2019/11/11 11:06
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
I'm surprised that they are having a hard time accepting the fact that the ID tag is fastened to the car with screws. Chrysler products have done this for decades, including the muscle car era, when things get very expensive and there is desire to make counterfeit "muscle cars" from more pedestrian offerings.

Yes. GM did this too.

My triple-black and loaded 1966 Cadillac Eldorado convertible (I'm second owner from new) was stolen years ago and I believe the serial number was changed. I also believe it was "sold" with changed numbers through one of the "honest" auction companies in Scottsdale.

The VIN tags on these cars were plastic and attached with two Phillips-head screws in the rear of the driver's door jamb. So easy to fake that the plates can be ordered and any number you choose put on them!

By the way, the car is still missing. The VIN# is E6112046. California license was 063 TZV. I bought it from a doctor who bought the car new from Hillcrest Cadillac in Beverly Hills. I bought it from him in the early 1970s. It had every option available except limited-clip rear end.

Posted on: 2019/11/11 11:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Don may be able to give more specific details but I think you will be out of luck getting anything from the state which would be about the only way to track ownership. Without state records, the only way to trace previous owners will be if you have word of mouth or some kind of unofficial paper trail from somewhere else. Unknown if anyone has any of the dealership records from that specific dealer but I expect those would only provide the first owner.

As to the state, California drops vehicles out of the system if they have not been continually registered for, I think, 5 years. If it has been longer than that since being registered in Calif there will be no records. Even if the car is still in the system, due to an actress being stalked and murdered a few years ago by someone who found her address thru DMV, after that happened there was a state law enacted that prohibits DMV from sharing any info with someone other than need to know law enforcement thru a special computer hookup or a warrant.

Yes, exactly right. State of California has too many cars to keep up with. They drop out of the system after so many years. This is a good thing... and it is a bad thing. If the records are purged, stolen cars can sometimes be re-registered by bad guys and appear to be legal. DMV acts as if they never heard of the car.

And yes, an actress was stalked and murdered by someone tracing her via DMV records, so that put an end to tracking by anyone but law enforcement.

Of course I have discovered if one has a paper trail such as old service records or old registrations, those papers have addresses. Many things are still possible via writing letters the old-fashioned way.

Posted on: 2019/11/11 11:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day foodprotector,
to PackardInfo. If a previous owner of your '41 was a member of PAC or PI it's possible they recorded details with a Roster Keeper who may be able to help.

Irrespective of that, I invite you to include your '41 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/11/11 14:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As Howard pointed out, such records do not exist. Even if the car had been registered constantly from new, the records would go back only so far as the DMV did not digitized early records as far as I know but even if they had, a VIN verifier has no access that is not available to anyone else.

On the 1966 Cadillac, as pointed out, the VIN plate was just a simple screw-on piece of plastic (my 1965 Fleetwood 60 Special is the same) but the VIN sometimes exists elsewhere as a "hidden VIN" but only law enforcement agencies are made privy to the locations. In fact, a VIN verifier is expressly forbidden from looking for it!

That said, for about a year, the verification of all vehicles in California required two VINs when many vintage cars have only one. I fought the DMV on that so the next reg31 VIN verification form revision changed and no longer required it for older vehicles before a certain year. The old form also required all 1966 and newer vehicles to have an emissions label when only 1966 California cars ever had it. Emission controls didn't become nation wide until 1967, I believe.

Posted on: 2019/11/11 15:05
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

foodprotector
See User information
My thanks to everyone who replied to my inquiry. Yes my car is in the PAC registry now the Assn did not have any info about it previously. I figured CA would have disposed of historical records especially back that far.
Really appreciate it team!

Posted on: 2019/11/11 18:44
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved