Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tips/Tricks/Suggestions for replacing lifters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
I am planning on attempting to replace the lifters on my '55 Patrician. I just have one lifter that is ticking, but I figure may as well replace them all. I got really great direction from a member in Houston on my project blog - but I also wanted to post in the V8 forum because more info is always better.

Posted on: 2019/8/16 8:21
 Top  Print 

Re: Tips/Tricks/Suggestions for replacing lifters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Opening a can of worms, you are!

Are you just patching a problem or do you want to clean, check, fix everything While you're in there?

Replace the valve stem seals, disassemble the rocker shafts remove the end plugs and clean the interior of the shafts.

We always test the valve springs for pressure. About half are no longer as stiff as the spec.

Check the rocker arm tips for wear and regrind if necessary. Check the pushrod cups in the rocker arms. There have been a few cases of enough wear to capture the pushod and keep it from rotating.

Check your valve spring retainers for hardness. If a file easily cuts an edge, they're soft. A file will skate on the later hardened retainers. The '55 retainers were so soft, the keepers can pull through the retainer. Some may have been replaced already.

Is the oil pump still original?

jack vines

Posted on: 2019/8/16 10:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Oil pump is the Olds conversion, it's just one lifter ticking and it comes and goes. I think I've narrowed it down to the #6 cylinder.

Posted on: 2019/8/16 15:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Oh and Jack - I'd love to really go ahead and fix everything while I'm in there, I'm just not sure my capabilities are up to the challenge. I'm learning as I go.

Posted on: 2019/8/17 10:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, replacing valve stem seals in sutuis best left to someone with a bit of experience.

jack vines

Posted on: 2019/8/17 13:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Definitely try something like Seafoam or another chemical first. When I first bought my car, the lifters were noisy. I used chemicals and got it down to about 10% of what it was.

Posted on: 2019/12/1 15:33
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved