Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 35 »

Re: Vintage Packards on the Street Thread...
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Thank you Mal! You seem to be here at any hour of the day/night that I never can figure out if its day or night down under.

I've got to admit that Australia is on my bucket list, I'm just not sure when the bucket will have enough money so I can book a trip.

Posted on: 2019/12/6 20:10
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
One day plus eight time zones from Central Time US (Time Zone S). I have a Geochron above my desk and it gives me pleasure to watch the daylight terminator line move and its shape change as the seasons come and go. The photo was taken about 11:20AM Saturday MST (Time Zone T) and about 4:20AM Sunday in Sydney (Time Zone K). The southern hemisphere is enjoying its spring season now, equivalent to June up here.

Mal - Can you right the world? I have tried but to no avail. Thanks - JWL

Attach file:

jpg  (190.88 KB)
565_5debf14436e40.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/12/7 13:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting image. Is it only the line that moves or does the bright spot to the left of the line move too or is that just a reflection.

Kev tried to explain why the photos show upside down in the preview images at times. I think I remember it was due to positioning data embedded in the photos from particular cameras. If you click on the photo to open if full size it shows correctly on my computer.

Posted on: 2019/12/7 14:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
JW wrote: Mal - Can you right the world? I have tried but to no avail. Thanks - JWL

John,

There's something about giving me a long enough lever and I might be able to "move right the world". Instead I've "flipped the image".

Attach file:

jpg  (219.54 KB)
226_5dec03b3d0c86.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/12/7 14:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

I've wondered if those Light Eights didn't have good performance, the power-to-weight ratio is high for the era. The coupe sedan has wonderful proportions, shame its so rare. They should have added one more body style based on it: a convertible victoria. In all the years of Packard events, I've only encountered one each of the '32 900 and '33 1001 coupe sedans.

Wonder if anyone at EGP in 1932 spirited a Light Eight 900 frame off to the experimental shop to fit it with a Twin Six engine and chassis components? Then the in-house body department stirring up a slick speedster, take it to the proving grounds track to see what it would do. Fun to think about...

Steve

Added 12-8-2019
On another topic:

The following was related on the AACA Forum by Ben P. about his grandfather Ed Benson's experiences in the taxi business in Midland, Michigan. Its edited and presented here with his permission.

"From about 1930 to 1947 my grandfather owned a taxicab company in Midland Michigan. He started out with Plymouths, but mostly ran Hudson Terraplanes once those came out. He also rented out boat motors and vans.
At some point in the late 30's the local funeral home convinced him to buy a DeSoto 'limousine' on the promise that they would hire his services and take up its predominant use (they could not afford their own).
I note this because that car was a 7 passenger car with jump seats and no divider window -- perhaps that's not what we call it today or the factory called it then, but I can assure you that people on the street then DID call it a limousine."...

..."After the war he got a fleet of 1946 Packard Clippers -- because that's all he could get his hands on. He HATED those Packards. They were terrible. Here he had survived the worst of the depression, literally living in the taxi-service garage just barely eking it out. Survived the war (in which he enlisted - trusting the business to family) -- then come those ___damned Packards. Constant repairs, drove him broke, finally gave up on the business. He hated the Packard name like poison.

Further:

"At any rate, they were truly terrible cars. My grandmother STILL talks about them and gets angry. They were trying to build a house and those Packards were taking every cent just to keep them running. He had bought 6-9 of them (no one remembers precisely), I believe both 6's and 8's. I'm pretty sure the one in the picture is a 6 -- though I'm not a Packard expert.

I owned a post-war Studebaker which he helped me on quite a bit. He called it a 'pretty good car'. He told me that as Packard was failing in the 1950's (and eventually merged with Studebaker) there was nobody mourning the Packard name -- their reputation had become that bad. His name was Ed Benson."

As related by his grandson, Ben P.

Its good to have this recollection out these many decades later least we wear our rose-colored glasses too much viewing our favorite cars now. If these were standard Clippers intended for private use and not the rigors of taxi service, the dealer lost a potential loyal customer. Mr. Benson may well have bought early production cars too, which given the rush to get new cars out saw poor assembly quality for all makes across the board. After three-years-plus of no new cars except those procured through allocation, the general fleet was badly worn out and need of replacement, especially taxis.

Thanks to Ben P. for permission to relate these experiences.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (92.02 KB)
409_5ded5aa42cd2f.jpg 1000X682 px

Posted on: 2019/12/7 16:07
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Steve, wouldn't that be a fun car to drive; light 8 with a V12?

Posted on: 2019/12/8 21:07
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

I'd bet a Light Eight 900 fitted with a V-12 would be a ball to drive, blisteringly fast, on par with a Duesenberg SSJ. Such a model could have been very good for their reputation just as the 734 Speedsters were.

It doesn't take a lot of production of a car like that in an exclusive few high-profile hands to boost a luxury maker's image. Auburn got a lot of mileage out of it with their Twelves and the boat-tailed speedsters.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/12/9 15:13
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Plane says "Packard Diesel".

Attach file:

png  (306.34 KB)
633_5defce768e4a2.png 681X694 px

Posted on: 2019/12/10 11:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
A Packard and a boat

Attach file:

jpg  (49.27 KB)
633_5defd0f1dc694.jpg 607X416 px

Posted on: 2019/12/10 12:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
The V12 with coupe-sedan styling would have looked even more sporty on the low slung FWD chassis that the engine was originally intended for.

https://www.conceptcarz.com/gallery/15378/packard-twinsix-fwd-v12-prototype.aspx

Posted on: 2019/12/10 15:04
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved