Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: "Concourse" vs. "Concours"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
As I've previously stated, ONE of the reasons Packard Info is such a great site is that we can mix it up with topics and content and discuss what we wish. The key to this, of course, is keeping it civil, which can be more difficult sometimes than one would think. This thread seems fraught with slurs, innuendo and subterfuge and I don't think it matters who's 'slip is showing', unless we want to see our webmaster having to censor the site's content and impose topic-rules, I suggest we all give our collective heads a shake, 'chill out' and get along. Chris

Posted on: 2020/1/5 17:00
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Sorry, that's a blouse. Good try.

Posted on: 2020/1/5 18:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Really Joe?!?!? ... YOU started this!
Quote:
Sorry, that's a blouse. Good try.

Why don't you just reply in Latin or something??

Posted on: 2020/1/5 19:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Chris, it's okay. I said the slip could show at the top OR at the bottom. Gerd attempted to show me that it could occur at the top AND at the bottom using the posted illustration. But the white at the top that is indeed showing is a blouse, not a slip. But I applauded the effort. Keep looking.

I had 5 years of Latin thanks to the Jesuits in HS and college, it was a long time ago, a long, LONG time ago. But I know that 'sub ubi' means underwear (technically under where).

I don't think Gerd was bothered, but who knows how thin a skin can be?

Posted on: 2020/1/5 19:39
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
One has merely to look in a dictionary. Concours (con-cor) is the French version of the English concourse. Both are the same. A concourse is a large area for people to move around in, or a large area for exhibitions outdoors. Concours d'Elegance (con cor della gaw) is simply an elegant concourse. Why we don't use the American or English usage is probably due to the fact that Americans have no idea what the French version is. The French version also sounds more aristocratic.

Posted on: 2020/1/5 20:03
Dwight
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Joe, sorry, Gerd's picture was not there at the bottom of page '2' the last time I looked and I mistook your reply for a cryptic response to my post. My mistake. Chris

Posted on: 2020/1/5 20:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Concours d'Elegance is a French term.. Concours in English means contest...d'Elegance means "of beauty or elegance". Thus it means beauty contest (for cars).

As a side note judging was only on the beauty of the cars, not the presence or absence of blades of grass in the tire treads or creases in the leather. Leave it to Americans to bring things to the ridiculous with fist fights erupting at Pebble Beach on occasion

Posted on: 2020/1/8 13:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Fist fights at a car show? Really?

Please note my previous coinage of the term "Rabble Beach".

Even if I happened to pass near the place on business I would make for a wide detour.

Posted on: 2020/1/8 20:48
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved