Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

49 club coupe owner here
Just popping in
Just popping in

Benny49
See User information
Just wanted to say hello to the members. I recently inherited a 49 club coupe that runs, but needs a lot of work to get it back to presentable. Currently it is all the original, even the interior (and man does it smell terrible). The plan is a rolling restoration at this point, and perhaps go frame off later on.

I will need to do some body work to get rid of my rusted out rocker panels, lower door frames, and as well as some other body patches. Any ideas where to find of the body parts or will I need to have them custom fabbed?

I contaced Kanter, but they are out of the rocker panels they advertise.

BTW, here is a pic of the rear of it the day it got delivered to the house.....more to come if interested!

Adam

Attach file:

jpg  (34.79 KB)
187_46cb28bc698f7.jpg 800X640 px

Posted on: 2007/8/21 12:53
 Top  Print 

Re: 49 club coupe owner here
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Adam,

Welcome aboard.

I'm sure you'll enjoy this site as there are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people willing to share the experiences and offer advice/help.

How about an entry in the Owner's Registry together with known history and a picture front/side of the coupe there?

Posted on: 2007/8/21 19:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

51Packardguy
See User information
Adam, welcome I think you will find this website very informative and everyone very friendly. Looks like you got alot to work with. More pics would be great.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 19:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I love those fastbacks or torpedo backs or whatever name you give them! Welcome to Packardland and glad to have you with us. Check with a local Smokeeters business and ask them the best way to get rid of odors. I suggest activated charcoal. Your Packard is made of heavier steel than most patch panels and you may want to check that thickness (gauge?) before having any sheet metal welded as a patch.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 20:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
ADAM: A big welcome to this forum.

You asked about body panels for your car. You are going to have to have any body panel that you need made. If you have a good bodyman this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Please tell use more about your Packard

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/8/22 5:54
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Benny49
See User information
OK guys, lots of new information. I have found some sources for some parts, but still need to have other parts fabbed up. In the short time I have in the evenings I have been tearing apart the car to get a better idea of the repairs I need to make to the body. Seems that the floor pans need some work, particularly at the edge by the door sills. about 6 inches from the sill in towards the transmission hump, the metal is fine.

In the trip down here, the battery got damaged, so I have not started her up yet. I have a battery from Optima on order and should see that soon so then I can inspect the electrical and ensure it all functions.'

I have torn some of the side trim off and been cleaning the rust away. I will be mailing off the clips that hold the trim on to Restoration Specialties so that they can match them up and supply me with new c channel clips and wire clips.

I have dropped the gas tank out and am cleaning and re-sealing the tank up.

Also, I have removed the damaged windshields and am hunting down the gasket for them. I have a source for the windshields and will order those in a few weeks......

Here is a pic of the interior of the coupe.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.30 KB)
187_46fbc20dee80a.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/9/27 9:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would LOVE to find one of those to drop on my spare '56 chassis. My first Packard was a '48 fastback, and I absolutely loved that car! I'd even trade my '56 Patrician driver for one!! (I know, that sounds bad, but I just can't help myself on those old torpedo bodies! Nice looking car!

Posted on: 2007/9/27 13:31
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Benny49
See User information
Thanks Eric. Yeah, I agree with you. The lines of the body on this vehicle are perfect. Absolutely beautiful, for just about anyones taste. I have seen them show room stock and they look great, and I have seem them custom rodded out and rat rodded out, and the body fits those style too without channeling, chopping or nose jobs.

So the battery got dropped in last night, and I tested the basic functions. Brakes, headlights, turn signals, horn and ingnition all work. The left hand turn signal in dash indicator does not work, but I am sure that is just a bulb issue.

Started the car last evening but could not get it draw gas from a bottle I rigged up at the fuel at the gas tank. Tonight I am going to see if I can prime the fuel lines and get the fuel pump to draw. The good news is that it fires right up and sounds beautiful (for the 10 or 15 seconds it would run on the carb poured gas). I think the timing may be advanced a little too much (gramps did that to get his cars to start easier) so I will retard that later on.

Here is a pic of that beautiful back.........

Attach file:

jpg  (36.58 KB)
187_4703e269ebcf7.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/10/3 13:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can check your owner's manual or wiring diagram to confirm, but I believe there is but a single indicator light for turn signals, same bulb for left and right. The other indicator bulb is for high-beam headlights, and depending on whether your 49 is a 22nd or 23rd series, I think there is a green one for the overdrive.

Posted on: 2007/10/3 14:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Oh that's beautiful! Those bodies are sooo great looking from all angles, and don't need anything. I would seriously consider getting rid of my '56 for one of those anytime.

Posted on: 2007/10/4 0:19
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved