Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 130

Alvin14, packardbill, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Undercoating experiences?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
ewrecks wrote:......One hint...if you use POR 15....wear really good gloves and seal your sleeves. If you get it on your skin....nothing will take it off. ...lacquer thinner or acetone will touch it. Used steel wool and acetone daily for over a week. LOL

100%. Been there, done that, including the steel wool!

Posted on: 2020/5/9 6:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Thanks all, very useful comments as usual. I am not ready to replace the whole fender. I'd have an even bigger painting problem and I'm not ready to have the whole car painted. Plus I want to get this front end back on and drive her again..

Overall, the metal on this car is very good. This patch area is def the worst of anything on the body. A lot of surface rust here and there on the frame but I've been sanding it back, applying Ospho, priming, then covering with Hirsch Chassis black paint as I work front to back.

As nudged by ewrecks, This seems like a good opportunity for me to practice with body filler techniques to see what it looks like. I'm no worse off in the near term and I can always do that fender replacement when I get ready to repaint the car.

I'll forgo trying to replace any missing undercoating and just use good primer and the Hirsch top coat.

It is hard to find epoxy primer locally, so I am ordering some online to give the wire brushed bare metal a good base for the rest.

thanks for your advice.
-Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (311.41 KB)
120663_5eb705642f968.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/5/9 14:37
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Got a little more into it today. A lot of the undercoating was loose, and under it was rust. Even the parts that didnt seem like they were separating, there was some rust underneath. So, going to just grind out it all and prime/paint well. Also have this patch/stiffener on the driver side. A little afraid to take it off but I'll see how much rust is around it etc.

Attach file:

jpg  (482.58 KB)
120663_5eb77d36af62e.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (470.25 KB)
120663_5eb77d4c37423.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/5/9 23:04
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Do yourself a big favor, invest in an angle grinder and get wire brushes for it. You'll end up with a better job, do it faster and have less muscle ache.

If you want to do it on the cheap look at Harbor Freight or Amazon. Otherwise it is a good investment to buy a better quality.

Posted on: 2020/5/10 11:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
I've also used a needle scaler (requires a substantial air compressor) and an electric oscillating multi-tool with blade scraper. Both methods make far less dust and are less tiring but usually require a final wire brushing to get the residue off. Probably overkill for one fender but worth the investment when doing an entire underbelly.

Posted on: 2020/5/10 13:39
Alberta - Canada

Wanted - 22nd Series Custom Eight, Overdrive + Electromatic Clutch
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I agree that the way to remove rust that you are facing is an angle grinder and a wire wheel. I have purchased several at Harbor freight and got an assortment of twisted stainless steel brushes for the heavy rust and brass for finer work. They are cheap and will hold up pretty well but like most Harbor Freight tools they are not going to last forever.
Another hint...make sure you wear goggles and heavy clothing....the pieces of the wire wheel fly off at high speeds and will penetrate lighter clothing or even tennis shoes. You only get one set of eyes.
I also suggest wearing a dust mask since you will be filling the air...and your lungs...with rust particles and dirt.
I did the entire floorboards and rear wheel wells of my Caribbean before sealing with POR 15 ......it was messy but it got the job done.
Currently doing the same messy work on a 39 .convertible coupe.

Posted on: 2020/5/11 19:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved