Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 107

JW49, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1937 wheel cylinders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
PackardDon, I also had made one like that many years ago. You just take a small piece of pipe put threads on one end and slide a short hose on to the other end.
I would screw the pipe into the bleeder and put the hose in a jar with some brake fluid and bleed the brakes without making a mess.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/2/19 13:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Exactly! I bought mine in an auto parts store in the '60s and it had threads that ended in a flat surface with a copper washer for sealing. In other words, it was made for the purpose but not difficult to make either.

Posted on: 2020/2/19 16:22
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
ok kicking this thread over again ..

I guess now the car is ready for some brake work .. it told me so by the rear hose giving up ..

Does anyone know what the PN# is for the rear soft line ?

also does one have and feed back on the Kanter rear brake build kit ? and the wheel cylinders they have in the kit have the modern bleeders in them ?

And is Kanters Open ?

Thanks

Posted on: 2020/5/8 16:19
Daily Driving a 1937 115c TS
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kanter lists two kits. The Deluxe kit includes everything including new master and wheel cylinders while the other kit includes hoses and shoes etc but just the rebuild pieces for the old master and wheel cylinders. They also sell individual hoses, cylinders and the other parts.

I can speak for the deluxe kit for a 47 Custom and the wheel cylinders did have the same type bleeders that are used on other postwar cars which I would call modern. Those cylinders plus the master, shoes, hoses, and mechanical parts all fit perfectly with one minor exception. The minor exception was the copper sealing washers that go on the master to seal the connection between the cylinder, banjo fitting and attaching bolt were not included. No idea if they might have started including them on todays kits since it has been several years since I bought mine. As I recall, the rear cylinders did need an adapter to fit the original size line but those were included in the kit.

If you buy a kit just be sure to ask if the washers are part of the kit and have them included if not. 47 at least uses odd size washers not readily stocked in the typical under the counter copper washer kits the parts stores have. It took a trip to several local parts stores to match and find them. Napa carried both sizes individually but not necessarily either or both were found at each store. I know on several occasions Kanter has offered to mail them out for free if people needed the washers and called to ask for them but that takes an extra few days if you are in the middle of a project. No idea if 37 uses the same sizes.

I also bought their brake line kit. At the time that kit apparently was only available in stainless steel and made by a vendor. There was an issue with the vendor making and sending an incorrect kit first time out. Kanter and the vendor immediately remade it to have the proper items. The lines fit with no major problems but I found the stainless hard to work with compared to regular steel or the Cunifer lines you can make yourself or maybe get from other vendors.

Their website says their main offices are closed but they are taking phone and online orders.

Posted on: 2020/5/8 16:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
Hi HH56

this all kick off again .. i had a front wheel lock up and i found someone put the shoes backwards on one side ... and the front brakes and soft lines and master where done a few years back ..

So after the test drive the rear line split .. so im just going in and redo all the rears ..

Just trying to get feedback on the kanter kit or if it better to buy parts local ..

Posted on: 2020/5/8 18:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Most all can be bought locally except the master cylinder. Having a complete kit is handy...the only real benefit to this is the lifetime guarantee Kanter offers....how long you gonna keep it?

Posted on: 2020/5/9 10:48
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boothguy
See User information
I'm trying to install a Kanter Brake kit on my 39 Six right now and the problem I'm having is the shoes are about 20 thousandths too thick to fit the slots in the WC pins, the adjustor and the Ebrake crossbar, Also the half circle cutout at the top of the shoe doesn't fit the anchor pin although that could probably be fixed with a little attention with a diegrinder.Has anyone else had this problem? I'll call them Monday and see if they have a solution. I appreciate Kanter having these parts reproduced but I think once again China is proving not to be a good partner.

Posted on: 2020/5/10 7:53
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
Flackmaster ... Good point !!!

Posted on: 2020/5/11 2:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
We are open for business and running our standard hours of operation. If you are having an issue with a product please call our sales line and use extension 307 to be automatically connected with our tech/customer service. If you have any questions prior to purchase please feel free to send me a PM and I will help you.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products
800-526-1096

Posted on: 2020/5/11 11:34
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
Thanks James

Posted on: 2020/5/13 12:47
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved