Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 92

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trunk finish 1947 Clipper Custom Super--Club Sedan (2 door)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rowand
See User information
My Clipper is restored with carpet on floor of trunk. The sides over fenders are not covered. Would like recomendations. This is not a judging issue for me.

Posted on: 2020/5/20 14:44
 Top  Print 

Re: Trunk finish 1947 Clipper Custom Super--Club Sedan (2 door)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what I can see in various photos of 46-7 models, the trunks had a floor carpet and the sides were finished in a tan to brownish gray shade of flocking material. Having said that, I have photos of two 21st series Customs that both appear to have a full carpeted trunk which may be laying over the flock. Whether that full carpet is an authentic 21st series Custom feature or was done durning a restoration I cannot say but the trunks are nicely finished and would be an option for you.

The reason I am not convinced the full trunk carpet was an authentic 21st series Custom finish is the 46-7 fact book only mentions the Custom as having turn signal accommodations in the taillights and the trunk light being standard for the differences from other models. The parts book mentions side, front and floor carpets for the 1525 20th series Super EIght Clippers but only has the floor carpet listed for senior 21st series. Mats are listed for the other 21st series models. I suppose the full carpet set could have been an accessory available for the Custom and as an accessory, it would not show in the parts book.

Here are photos of two Customs -- both maybe with full carpeting. The brown trunk is, I believe, JW's former car and obviously carpet. Not sure who owns the blue car as I think it was an ebay photo but because you can clearly see the ridges in the sheetmetal, it may even be a blue flock on the sides instead of carpet-- although I do not think Packard ever used a color other than browns or grays for flock. The third and fourth photos with a floor carpet and flock on the sides is, I believe, the more typical stock finish for all models. I chose flock to at least replace my missing and damaged flocking and maybe do full carpet later on my Custom which is the fifth photo. IMO, Packard never seemed to go to a lot of expense to finish off the postwar trunk area until the V8 models.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.03 KB)
209_5ec596e699389.jpg 721X479 px

jpg  (54.37 KB)
209_5ec5979bcb29a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (77.45 KB)
209_5ec597ddb4437.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (193.96 KB)
209_5ec5a253c31b0.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpeg  (113.44 KB)
209_5ec5a745909c3.jpeg 1280X791 px

Posted on: 2020/5/20 15:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved