Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 157

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

47 super clipper overdrive freewheel mode
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Dear all,
if i drive in first, second or third gear at low speed, with overdrive not shifted by shift cable, it looks like the freewheel mode is engaged.
speed is aprox 10-20mph. no engine break feeling, only a very silent rotation sound from transmission.
I guess there is something wrong? Freewheel should not work in this situation. But it looks like it does. How to disengage freewheel mode? driving reverse is possible. is there a somehow a improvise to switch of freewheel?
thank you very much in advance for your thoughts,
BR Josef

Posted on: 2020/5/25 4:09
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

Re: 47 super clipper overdrive freewheel mode
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
With the overdrive knob pushed IN, what you are describing is completely normal. If it is doing that with the knob pulled OUT then the lockout is not being operated fully. That is usually caused by the cable sheath slipping up into the bracket under the dashboard rather than the cable core being pulled. The lockout lever on the side of the trans must come fully forward when you pull the knob. The fact that you have reverse tells me everything is probably alright inside the trans.

The connection of the cable sheath to the dash bracket is the usual failure point.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 5:55
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
thank you very much for your fast reply. one question: shifting the overdrive knob forward and backward is only possible while car is moving? BR Josef

Posted on: 2020/5/25 6:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I know what the instructions say, but I usually put the clutch in and push the knob forward to put it IN overdrive when I'm moving forward at 30 MPH or so, then let out the clutch and let it drop into overdrive.

I usually only take it OUT of overdrive when stopped or rolling forward at 5 MPH or so.

If it resists pulling out when I'm stopped, I use First or Reverse to move 1 or 2 feet. Then it will pull out.

It may be an unjustified fear, but I would never pull it out of overdrive moving forward at any speed above 10 MPH. I would just picture the transmission turning into scrambled eggs.

But other braver souls may say otherwise.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 11:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
thank you. so in summary i understand, you can only switch the overdrive on or off when the car is in slow motion. i did this last time obviously with the car standing still and therefore my freewheel is still engaged but the overdrive is not. ( i did it during the assembly) i will try at about 10mph in the first gear to switch the overdrive on and off to switch off the freewheel. before i check the outer and inner cable of the knob if everything is ok. many greetings

Posted on: 2020/5/25 14:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If you recently reassembled the OD, it could be stuck in OD.

Howard HH56 has posted this handy info on the Overdrive in the past. Take a good look at Page 10.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/BW_OD.pdf

Posted on: 2020/5/25 18:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The B-W book Joe linked is for the mid 48 and later R11. Prior to mid 48 the cars would have an R9 unless it is one of the probably few cars where an owner bought an R11 upgrade kit due to unresolved reverse lockup issues with the R9. The corresponding service and troubleshooting book for the R9 OD can also be downloaded from the literature section.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf

Posted on: 2020/5/25 19:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Forgive me for taking your name in vain, Howard, and thank you for pointing me to the R9 service training manual that happens to be correct for my own car.

Mainly, since Jose revealed that he recently had reassembled the OD I wanted to point him to what could be a common error, one I made myself, of not angling the solenoid when reassembling so that the ball of the plunger fits in the groove of the pawl. The R11 manual has an index which makes it easier to find and discusses this on Page 10. The R9 manual doesn't have an index but discusses this on Page 13 and 14.

There's also the issue of the spacer being put on backwards. Another mistake of mine. OK I found it. The two smaller holes in the spacer go to the rear of the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.72 KB)
1067_5ecd348bdf24e.jpg 240X320 px

jpg  (26.72 KB)
1067_5ecd3521ef8ec.jpg 240X320 px

Posted on: 2020/5/26 10:13
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
thank you very much to all your advices. I will check this weekend on the next yard test drive with low speed. I hope it is only a small issue. Stay health and have a great time in your Packards, BR Josef

Posted on: 2020/5/26 16:12
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
i have found the reason. the push pull cable is the reason. if the knop looks like he is complete pulled out, he isn?t complete pulled out. while i keep holding pulled the knob during clutching, the freewheel switches off. while driving above potholes on my yard, the freewheel enganges again. I must find a better adjustment for the cable. thank you all, BR Josef

Posted on: 2020/5/27 13:36
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved