Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '40 110 brake drum interchange?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Dave, that'll widen the scope of my search a bit. Like I say, I'm okay right now but intend on keeping the car and can foresee a day when my current drums are too thin to be turnable or serviceable, so it's always good to be on the lookout. Chris

Posted on: 2020/5/31 18:05
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
The Six uses 11" drums, 120/Eight uses 12" drums. We have a big stock of new/used drums.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2020/5/31 20:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi James,
Thanks for weighing in. I am going to phone the Packard department as soon as the border opens up and was going to order new cylinders and shoes for the rear of my car (already got new master cyl and front shoes and cylinders from you folks) and will inquire as to P&D on drums at that time. I have a mailbox in Washington and can get US shipments sent there and pick them up at my convenience. Shipping directly to Canada is simply prohibitive. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 23:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Chris, the original question is about a 1940 110 which interchanges with 1941 110 but your 1939 Six is different.

Posted on: 2020/6/1 1:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Don, thanks, yes mine IS different, but the parts list Mal posted has the correct #'s for '37-'39, so will make sure I qualify that when talking to Kanter. Appreciate the heads up nonetheless. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/6/1 10:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Quote:
On the Packard front my local club did get specific instructions from our State Police which allowed us to do a drive-by Memorial Day parade at local Paramus NJ Veterans Home where more than 70 residents died from the COVID. We mustered about 18 cars for the event. Needless to say we were all thrilled to have the opportunity to bring even this little bit of pleasure to the remaining residents and staff.

Dave, Good going for you and your club to put that together for the veterans home. I'm sure it was the highlight of the day for many oldtimers and no doubt, brought back some fond memories from their youth. Hats off to your club for the effort, that is a grand gesture and I'm sure hugely appreciated by the recipients. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/6/2 20:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
More progress on the '40 110 over the past week or so. Here's an overview.

-All four wheel cylinders and the master were seized up. Fluid was present in the master cylinder, however.

-Three drums were in pretty good shape along with the shoes, minimal amount of rust inside; fourth looks like it's out of round and impact-damaged, shoes on that wheel were destroyed. Wheel bearings on that wheel, RF, were also shot. All drums were cleaned up with a wire wheel and solvent.

-LF hose has the consistency of a fresh gummy bear, and was partially wrapped in medical grade cloth adhesive tape, looking like 1960's vintage. That hose was also 'solidly' packed with congealed hydraulic fluid.

-RF and rear hoses were in better shape, with minor cracking on the outside.

New hoses were bought at NAPA this morning (they had them in the catalog and our regional warehouse where I shop had them on the shelf); I managed to free up all wheel cylinders after pushing out the pistons with a C-clamp and appropriate sized deep sockets used as rams--similar process to pushing out king pins on my '37. All cylinders were run through an electrolytic de-rusting process for several hours to a day each. Cylinder bores were honed out with regular cylinder stones and cleaned up to be quite serviceable, which surprised the Hell out of me. I need to assemble the front cylinders, check all the lines, then reinstall the master after bench bleeding. Might have brakes again this weekend. Then, onto the engine, to get it running again for the first time since about 1995. That'll be another story.

Posted on: 2020/6/3 21:34
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved