Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: The Cormorant and Goddess of Speed Article
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Mr. Cooper -

I wish you'd stick around. Everyone here has a lot to offer, but each of us can learn something, as well. When you take a look around this user-driven site, keep in mind that all of this has been accomplished in less than three years. The best is yet to come!

When it comes to writing, I'm no professional, but understand that while an article should seek to entertain, thus retaining the reader's interest, it should also seek to inform, thus requiring accuracy. Of course, anyone can make a mistake, but even conclusions that were drawn on the best information that was available at the time must be revised as additional information becomes available. In that regard, perhaps a follow-up piece to your original article on those hood ornaments is in order.

As such, I hope you don't take too much offense at any criticism levied, but can use it to improve the greater Packard knowledgebase.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Packard53 wrote:

In 1949 Packard VP Milton Tibbetts issued a memorandum to the executive staff noting that the original designers had intended that the bird be a PELICAN and that is what it should be called.

Well, in defiance of Milt's memo, I will continue to refer to my hood ornament as a Cormorant. It just doesn't look like a Pelican (thank heaven!).

Attach file:

jpg  (6.61 KB)
188_499ac85101726.jpg 300X150 px

Posted on: 2009/2/17 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
A wise man once penned:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

I like the ornaments that grace the hood of most Packards, but none of them look like a pelican to me. Personally, I don't find the pelican to be very attractive.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Well, I hope you do stick around Quill.

I hope one bad experience is not enough to run you off. I find your writing very good. I like a columnist in Hemmings Classic Car by the name of Patrick Foster who loves the independents and has his own conclusions on how each failed/suceeded. He writes columns that sometimes provoke raw emotion amongst the readers. You can witness this through the letters he gets. It is split about 50% who think he is right and the other 50% who want his resignation on a monthly basis. All I can say is get used to the criticism. If you write columns and don't have at least a few critics than your doing something wrong. Sometimes the critics are right, sometimes wrong. In the end we all learn and that is the point.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Quill: I have never been one to beat around the bush and I try to get straight to the point. The problem I have with you on this article you wrote, is that to me you took your opinion of how you thought things should have happend at Packard. Then you tried and palm them of to the world as being factual.

Then in your article you say that some commentators who disagree with your views on the Packard hood ornament are not big fans of the Packard Motor Company, because they refer to the hood ornament as a PELICAN. It seems to me that when the true facts are laid out on the table, that many now departed Packard officials such as Hugh Ferry
and others had a different view than you. However what did they know know, they only ran Packard.

What makes this article all the more disappointing to me is that I have read some of your other articles and you can do fine research when you want to.

To answer your last question no I have never had anything pulbished like you have on national level. However what I may or may not have written is not what is in question here. To end this I must say that your not the first national automotive writer that I have had differneces with when they have been wrong.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/2/17 20:05
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I thought the Pelican name came from the heraldic description of the crest as being "a pelican in her piety" i.e. feeding her young by plucking at her own breast (hence the curved neck), rather than any resemblance to the bird with the pouch. Sorry, can't recall where I ran across this, so perhaps another can add a piece here.

This remains a disputed area in my housa as my son keeps lobbying for me to replace my doughnut chaser with a cormorant.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 15:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I gave some thought to a cormorant for my 34 Eight and decided that it's too ostentatious and flamboyant for a black sedan. I like the flying lady but for a change of pace have long considered an Adonis but it's just a year or two too incorrect for 1934. Too bad, I think it' the most stunning of the three.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I like the Boar.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.42 KB)
633_499c82160f5a0.jpg 289X231 px

jpg  (9.42 KB)
633_499c8229caf49.jpg 282X299 px

jpg  (8.51 KB)
633_499c823761e3d.jpg 297X163 px

Posted on: 2009/2/18 16:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I prefer birds over boars. This is the hood ornament I plan on using on my Speedster, a Cormorant with an attitude!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/2/19 1:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Quote:
... When it comes to writing, I'm no professional, ...

Brian, please believe me as your faithful reader, here must be some mistake.

Gerd, you are too kind.

I'm just an amateur writer, and tend to write about only those things I that am confident of or feel strongly about. (That said, scholarly viewers will have to pardon my dangling prepositions.)

Back in my school days, I seemed to do good - er, I mean, well - in English class, but mainly after they taught us how to diagram sentences. Analyzing the structure helped us write better sentences. When it came to greater composition, they taught us proper outlining and note-taking procedures, but I still tend to shoot from the hip.

However, my creative muse is often lacking, and I am a lousy typist. I'm grateful for word processing applications with spell and grammar checking, but they aren't always 100%.

Thankfully, an online forum is a much more informal setting for writing.

Meanwhile, in spite of language barriers, you have done a fine job of communicating here and constantly prove that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 10:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved