Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 144

kevinpackard, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tire pressure question
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I have an idea what the answer is, but I will ask this question of those with more knowledge then me. I recently put new tires and tubes on a 37 and a 41 Packard. The tire walls say to inflate to 33 PSI but the owner's manuals say 22PSI and 28/32PSI respectively. What is the reason for the spec PSI being different from the sidewall PSI?

Posted on: 2020/6/15 19:33
 Top  Print 

Re: Tire pressure question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
The original recommended PSI is a bit low, one reason among them being for comfort on the often poor roads of the time. Neither the low or high pressure will harm the car as long as you stay within the limits, but I would advise a higher pressure as it will make a difference to the handling. Now I do not know which tires you have bought but a good start would be to go on the higher end and adjust until handling and wear is acceptable; you can use a tire crayon to test for even contact. Some members on this forum have gone to much higher PSI on tubes and seem satisfied-It all depends on your driving conditions and the specific tire.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 2:17
Alberta - Canada
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thank you. Your answer is pretty much what I had in mind, but just wanted to confirm. BTW, I got Coker Garfields for the 37 and Coker Goodrich for the 41. Both are bias ply and tubed.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 5:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The number on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure for the tire. It is not a recommended pressure.

The pressures in the owner's manual are for the tires fitted to the car when new, thus, deviating from them is not a crime. I think one reason people think they should run higher pressures these days is because today's cars ride like garbage. I am always bitching about that.

I have a car that was setup for the European market in which ride quality is a top priority. It is a better riding car than the most expensive American cars.

So I would still run what the Packard manual says except if the tire manufacturer has recommended differently.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 7:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I remember reading an article on the 58 Stude and Packard models and how styling wanted to have the cars appear as low as possible since lower and longer was becoming the styling craze of the day.

Article stated that styling convinced engineering to go with 14" tires because they would immediately lower the cars an appreciable amount and then wanted to go even farther on the Hawks and Coupes. In addition to the styling bits with chrome placements giving the illusion of sleek and long, they pressured engineering to lower the tire pressures to the absolute minimum that would be safe to use. That change would lower the cars another fraction of an inch.

The tire pressure change appears to be what happened because the 15 inch tires on the 57 and one 58 bare bones model that kept them had a recommended pressure of 26 front and rear while the 58 models that went to a 14 inch tire had a recommended pressure of 24 front and 20 rear for ordinary use. It is interesting what might be considered ordinary use (one driver and showroom maybe??) because in the service manual there are caveats to the recommended low pressure. 4 passengers it went to 26 front and rear and if there was expected to be sustained high speeds, up to 30 psi. I guess the long and low look was not important when the car was actually being driven.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 8:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The tire guide does state that the maximum on the sidewall is a cold pressure number. Once the tire is on the road running the pressure will rise. So the next consideration is what the rim is capable of handling. Over inflation will eventually show up as poor tread wear. I never liked over inflation because it beats the hell out of the suspension, frame, and body joints. As well, if the car has an expensive paint job all that hammering will cause cracking.

Packard had a good proving ground so the recommended pressures are probably arrived at after a good amount of study.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 14:51
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved