Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 160 air cleaner decal placement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Got a new set of decals from PAC and sprucing up engine for a show in the fall. When I bought it, there was not a decal on the air cleaner. What is the proper placement? I am guessing it is not on the cap that holds the filter in because the cap has ridges and a decal would not mount flat. Does it go on the large barrel halfway between the carb. and the filter? Thanks, Tommy

Posted on: 2020/6/29 14:28
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 160 air cleaner decal placement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
1940-1947 with oil bath air cleaner.
"Top of air cleaner, left side, center of decal on screw center, nearly touching beveled edge. "

Here are a couple of interpretations of the above official engine compartment judging details, which are confusing. How do you place a decal on "top" AND on the "left side?" One picture would have been worth a thousand words.

All 3 engine compartments including my own, show evidence of an intent to place the decal correctly. I like it on the side wall of the air cleaner lid of the silver car, but this same engine has the oil filter decal on the side wall of the oil filter, which is incorrect. It should be on the lid of the oil filter.

Unfortunately the modern reproductions for the oil filter are a clear plastic label which will not flatten on the lid like the previous reproductions which were decals. The new labels work on the side wall, but not on the specified location on the lid.

Since the rules are not clear for placement and no photo is provided, I'd say no one should be docked for having it in either of these two positions.

I put mine on the left side of the top of the air cleaner lid (#3) as did the owner of the yellow car. The owner of the silver car placed it on the left side wall of the lid, which one could consider as the top of the air cleaner.

Attach file:

jpg  (282.72 KB)
1067_5efb5f9327ad2.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (90.74 KB)
1067_5efb5f9cb793c.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (233.13 KB)
1067_5efb5fa68d655.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/6/30 11:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If it's a dry air cleaner, it goes "on the air cleaner facing the right side of the car."

A picture is worth a thousand words.

On '33-'36 senior cars with a dry air cleaner, the right edge of the decal was placed near the center of the middle section of the air cleaner facing the front of the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (64.10 KB)
1067_5efb66803a356.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2020/6/30 11:27
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks, I should have mentioned our 1940 356 has the dry air cleaner. I would have liked to seen more examples to determine. I did see a picture of a 40 in the PAC showroom that showed it installed on the base just above the carburetor. On the example shown it is in that area but not in the same spot so not sure.

Posted on: 2020/7/2 10:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Whoever wrote the Packards International Judging Guide would know for sure. I understand it's difficult to write descriptions that are not ambiguous. A photograph would have been far better to have in the judging guide.

But there are plenty of experts here. There may even be a few original 1940s with dry air cleaners. The guys who judge cars for national shows for PI and PAC, AACA, CCCA, the A&P and the FBI should know.

Again, a picture is worth a thousand words. Much better than attempting to write a description that requires a patent attorney.

Posted on: 2020/7/2 10:55
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved