Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Geocap, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Fenders '55 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm getting ready to replace the side chrome trim piece on the left front fender (P/N 461355 LH). The one I received to replace it is straight. The one that was on the fender was slightly curved and the fender itself curves outward over the wheel well maybe an inch.

Should the fender & trim piece be straight or not?

Posted on: 2020/7/16 10:08
 Top  Print 

Re: Front Fenders '55 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a 64 dollar question and I do hope someone has an answer. I think it might have been some production or stamping mold issues but no idea if they used the same mold the entire time since they smoothed out the slight ridge or crease at the top of the fender for 56. I know the 56 eyebrows are just welded on pieces but the 56 Clipper fenders have the same straight angle at the headlights as the 55s.

As I recall the first 56 sedan I bought was the same and at that time I thought the car had been in an accident. When I had that car painted the body shop said there was no indication of an accident or work done on the fender. My current 56 hardtop has the same issue -- left side is slightly curved and right side is relatively flat so if a stamping issue it must have gone on a long time.

Posted on: 2020/7/16 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Marston wrote:
I'm getting ready to replace the side chrome trim piece on the left front fender (P/N 461355 LH). The one I received to replace it is straight. The one that was on the fender was slightly curved and the fender itself curves outward over the wheel well maybe an inch.

Should the fender & trim piece be straight or not?

No question here at all.

The horizontal diecast chrome trim over the front wheel wheels SHOULD curve. It is supposed to bulge out on both sides. So should the fenders. This is for tire clearance when the front wheels are turned. Turning the wheels to RH or LH lock gives very, very little tire clearance even if everything is set up as it should be.

I drove a 1956 Patrician recently that the owner had installed new tires... that are too big. They actually scrubbed on the front fenders. Just one more reason why it is important not to mess around with tires on V-8 Packards.

Back in the 1970s I sent out RH and LH front fender spears to be re-chromed. When I got them back, to my horror, the chromer had taken it upon himself to straighten the pieces! Of course, then they were useless. Incredible waste of time and money and what WERE the best two pieces I had to be chromed!

Ones on cars that appear flatter have been pushed that way while on the car (relatvely easy to do). The factory just didn't do this.

Posted on: 2020/7/16 10:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Leedy is correct. Maybe the chrome piece you received was re-chromed and the polishing process caused it to warp.

Posted on: 2020/7/16 15:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
To close this post out, I found out that the left fender:

1) Protruded outwards about 3/4" to an inch more than than the right
2) More than likely, the chrome piece became straight during the polishing process/re-chroming process
3) It was possible the gradually push the left fender in to the same point as the right side and still have about 3/4" clearance (same as the right) for the tire.
4)To install the trim piece to conform to the fender by gradually bending it to conform to the fender curvature by gradually tightening the bolts along it's entire length.

Thanks for all of your inputs and to Fred at Max Merritt.

Posted on: 2020/7/24 2:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved