Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 64

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1956 Twin Traction Differential Identification
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
I've been told that my 1956 Clipper Deluxe has the optional Twin Traction limited slip rear axle (with Ultramatic). Can't tell driving it, which suggests it does not work very well if it's actually there. Not that I care much on a road car. I'm used to them in race cars and know how they normally feel.

I understand that a Dana rear axle unit was fitted to the 1956 Packards, so the Twin Traction differential would also presumably be their work.

Is it possible to determine if it has a Twin Traction differential - and what the final drive ratio might be - without dismantling it?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Posted on: 2020/7/22 1:17
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Twin Traction Differential Identification
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

This old thread may be of assistance.

Posted on: 2020/7/22 2:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks Mal

I did search the site before it wrote this, but did not turn up that thread.

I've been in touch with the Studebaker Museum in South Bend. Unfortunately, they don't have a production record for my car (probably because it was an export) so I'm none the wiser about the original spec. I do know the original exterior colours and the interior is pretty much original still.

Ross noticed that the body tag is riveted on, rather than being spot welded. It was apparently removed when the car was repainted (which I'm about to do again!).

The thread you pointed me to basically answers my question. The rear wheels do turn in the same direction when it's off the ground. It sounds like there should be some marks showing the "T" for Twin Traction and the diff ratio stamped on the rear cover. Just needs a scraper, a good light and a crawl under the car!

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/7/22 4:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian etal,

When I'm searching on this Site I use the "advanced search" function, it allows multiple parameters to be inputted and usually makes searching "easier". For your query I only inputted "twin traction" as a parameter and viola a little searching of the various threads presented allowed me to reference the one I found and posted the link to. A couple of "marked up" screenshots are attached.

NOTE: Click on the screenshots to get a bigger, clearer, readable image.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.47 KB)
226_5f1822350a559.jpg 1366X768 px

jpg  (129.91 KB)
226_5f182246b835d.jpg 1366X768 px

Posted on: 2020/7/22 6:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Usually most positracs the wheels will turn in the same direction with both tires off the ground. An open differential the wheels turn opposite directions.....

Posted on: 2020/7/22 8:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My '56, a very late car (June 1956) had a small brass tag under one of the cover bolts with an upper case "T" stamped to indicate Twin Traction. As I recall the actual ratio or gear tooth count of the ring and pinion was not identified on the outside of the unit. Easy enough to count with the rear cover off, or just do the old wheel rotation method.

Posted on: 2020/7/22 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks Mal

Yes, after you set me on the correct path I did the same thing using the advanced search and got the same result as you. I wonder how many people on the site have twigged to that. Seems like a lot of people - including me! - post questions which have been answered before.

Incidentally, I crawled under the car to check and found the "T" on the diff cover - confirming it's a Twin Traction - but no sign of the final drive ratio. Not that it matters. It purrs along happily in "H" at 60-70mph with the Twin Ultraglide, so I'm not motivated to change it. Around town, I use "D" for jackrabbit starts at the lights. The change up from low to high in "D" is noticeable but not uncomfortable. Just like other two speed automatics of the period.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/7/22 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Yes O-D

I think mine is about the same age as yours - mid-1956. If it ever had a tag, it's no longer there. But given the disruptions of the time - and it being an export model - I wonder how the rear axle units were sourced and allocated. And whether the Clippers got the same units as the senior cars. Mine otherwise looks identical to the Dana units pictured on this site.

There are quite a few casting symbols and numbers on the differential flanges, none of which I understand.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/7/22 23:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Brian, the Clipper and Packard models had different carrier and rear axle assemblies, both sourced from Dana.

Posted on: 2020/7/23 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks Gerry and O-D

Yes, I had heard that the Dana rear axle units were different between the Clippers and Packards in 1956. Mine may have had tags on at some time but it doesn't now. But it does have a "T" on the flange of the differential case. My differential unit is actually fairly clean - slight weep from the cover gasket - which makes me think it might have been apart somewhere along the way. But the rear wheels do both turn in the same direction when it's up in the air, so I'm convinced it's a Twin Traction.

The obvious question is why Packard offered the Twin Traction option on both Clippers and Packards, given it involved a different Dana axle unit. Perhaps it was just the novelty. It was something very new then.

The original parts and service documentation doesn't really provide answers. Only to say that the Twin Traction assembly must be replaced as a unit, since the components were not available individually. Presumably, that applied to both rear axle units.

As I mentioned earlier, the Twin Traction rear end on mine doesn't feel like it does vey much. At least compared to race cars with Weismann "lockers", where the most notable effect was for the car to continue straight on at a corner!

Brian

Posted on: 2020/7/23 18:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved