Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

pmhowe, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

PAC meet torsion level presentation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2020/8/13 23:10
 Top  Print 

Re: PAC meet torsion level presentation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ltrd,

Link opens up for me with a photo of '41 120 Station Wagon. Maybe that was an early prototype T/L car?

Posted on: 2020/8/13 23:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal (Ozstatman), one couldn't fail to notice that the titel of the video reads "Packard Club - Auto Show - Suspension Lecture". Suspension was already invented in 1941 (presumably in CCCP). An essential part (approx. 95%) of the video revolves around a torsion level presentation, hence the headline of this thread. Let's hope that Let the ride decide won't start to embellish our future contributions by publishing results of his accuracy assessments.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.30 KB)
757_5f3630ed32474.jpg 828X632 px

Posted on: 2020/8/14 1:36
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gerd(Guscha),
Didn't realise it was a video. Just goes to show my technological Luddite leanings! Next you'll be telling me the Earth ain't flat.

Posted on: 2020/8/14 2:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
No Mal, rather a stroke of genius to mention the flat-earth-theory, which originates from using torsion level. But in view of the condition of high-speed streets in my home country, the GDR party barons propagandized the jackhammer dance to flatten the globe (image attached).

Let the ride decide, two repentant sinners bag your pardon on bended knees. Here we go ->https://vimeo.com/281386084

Attach file:

jpg  (32.22 KB)
757_5f36427f6a36e.jpg 534X681 px

Posted on: 2020/8/14 2:28
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Hopefully you got to watch the video ok.

I was lucky to be there. I didn't realize that this video was out there, just was lucky looking for something else and came across it.

It maybe too much for some, but I enjoyed it.

Attach file:

jpeg  (324.15 KB)
1220_5f36e16c14de9.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (339.73 KB)
1220_5f36e1ffb5d73.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (306.46 KB)
1220_5f36e272275da.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/8/14 14:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I enjoyed the video and did pick up a few new bits of knowledge. It was dry in a few spots and the camera guy seemed to not be following where the action was happening at times but still worth watching.

Now if someone could find or convince the rights holder to post a complete video copy of the 3 car comparison film they showed at the early 80s PAC meet in Berkeley and at some of the other PAC meets. A version of the video is on the Allison DVD sold by one of the regions but I wonder if it is complete. I seem to recall the original film was longer -- or at least it seemed like it was while watching at the meet. The film generated a fairly long period of laughter during and after the comparison cars went over the railroad tracks.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the TL Packard sailed by this extremely rough railroad crossing in Detroit with the wheels bouncing like they were trying to come off but the body was barely disturbed. A hubcap flew off one of the brand X fine cars and rolled down the road while the car was bouncing up and down so much it seemed like the driver was going to lose control. The other fine car bottomed out so seriously you could see the sparks fly as the car's frame (hopefully it was the frame) hit the road or tracks and then wobbled as its driver got it under control again.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will say the earlier Packards and conventional spring Clippers would probably have done no better than the test cars. The Allison DVD also shows a 54 Patrician going over the same spot (a bit slower because that car was a personal car assigned to one of the people present for the test) and it was still sad. The little cycle car probably did the best job smoothing out the ride of all of them.

Posted on: 2020/8/14 15:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
While the video playback for me kept halting and re-loading, Walt did a great presentation here. And it was fabulous to see him at the wheel of "Black Bess" at the Proving Grounds in a nice color shot.

Yes, of course people doing videos at club meets are not usually going to be video production experts, so one can't expect Hollywood or television quality. And using a single camera without blends, fades and pans is always going to limit the quality of the final result. Still great to have it.

Also nice to see detailed shots of the Torsion-Level scale model chassis that my friend, Tom Beaubien built. I'm still trying to track this chassis down today. I know of where it went after the movie... but after that... it disappeared.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2020/8/15 12:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I remember the video played in Berkeley too as I was one of those who helped put together the event (as NorCal's editor, I handled all the printing) and I was also on the PAC board at that time. When I asked about getting a copy, though, I was told that it wasn't available due to copyrights of some sort.

Posted on: 2020/8/15 12:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Yes, the video is interesting. You only have to drive a Packard with TL to know how well it works - especially in comparison to other cars of the period. Or even modern cars, for that matter. I don't pretend to understand why it works so well, and don't really need to to appreciate it.

Brian

Posted on: 2020/8/15 18:47
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved