Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 »

Re: 1941 PACKARD MAKES ICE CUBES
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The style of switch probably depended on the year and model. Here are a couple of more switches. I think the first switch photo is from West Petersen's 40 and the illustration is from the 40 AC introductory brochure The other photo is the Clipper style switch as shown in the 42-6 Clipper accessory manual. I believe the switch that is part of the ebay unit is the typical 41 under dash version. Lavine has other repro brackets -- Heater, Defroster and the Cooling -- in that same style listed as 41-2. Somewhere I have a photo of one well optioned car with a whole slew of switches in that 41 housing lined up under the dash starting from the OD knob going toward the center.

From the placement of West's switch and the brochure illustration it would appear the switch was mounted near the driver to the side of an OD knob if the car was so equipped. Possibly "controlled by the passenger" meant anyone in the front seat. While I understand the 40 aor vents were fixed, the 41-42 vents had a passenger adjusted knob on the side to direct the air flow out of the vent on the package shelf.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.70 KB)
209_5f38b3afd2be4.jpg 500X310 px

jpg  (50.87 KB)
209_5f38b417af744.jpg 600X551 px

jpg  (88.49 KB)
209_5f38b422a4c17.jpg 666X866 px

Posted on: 2020/8/15 23:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Was this the end of prewar car A/C?

source: 1942-02-15 The Courier-Journal
Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (101.59 KB)
757_5f3a0cfe068f9.jpg 880X1216 px

Posted on: 2020/8/16 23:52
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Guscha wrote: Was this the end of prewar car A/C?
Gerd,

I think that car production as a whole was halted around January/February 1942.

Posted on: 2020/8/17 0:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I read in Automotive Industries, that it was the Freon the Government pulled off the market so they had to switch to using Ammonia.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/8/17 0:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Gerd,

I think that car production as a whole was halted around January/February 1942.

Mal, yes, that clinched the matter. Thanks.

Posted on: 2020/8/17 3:27
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Wonder why Packard didn't offer AC after the war?? Till '53 anyway.....

Posted on: 2020/8/17 8:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Wesley Boyer wrote:
I read in Automotive Industries, that it was the Freon the Government pulled off the market so they had to switch to using Ammonia.
Wes

I don't think Packard ever used Ammonia although it was commonly used in large commercial refrigeration systems almost exclusively. Perhaps Cadillac or other systems might have tried it but Packard switched to Methyl Chloride. Either one is not the safest substitution to have to try and service around.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.58 KB)
209_5f3a88b527f6e.jpg 1080X664 px

Posted on: 2020/8/17 8:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

ptv wrote:
Wonder why Packard didn't offer AC after the war?? Till '53 anyway.....

One of the questions that may never be completely answered. Packard and Cadillac both had proven prewar units that would have bolted right back into their immediate postwar offerings. I wonder if Packard had considered offering it postwar since the AC on/off switch did appear in the Clipper dash photo that is in the 46 accessory brochure.

Maybe it had to do with restrictions or availability of needed components due to all the supplier strikes that were happening postwar. After not offering the option and seeing the pent up demand and sellers market where mfgs could sell anything they could produce no matter how it was equipped, they no longer had any incentive. The fact that no auto mfg offered AC again until 53 is the real question because the sellers market disappeared long before then. Too bad Packard didn't offer it a bit sooner. Maybe if they had some of the unsold 22-23 series cars they had such high hopes for might have moved a bit easier. The prewar unit would have still bolted in and even though it might not be exactly new it would still be better than nothing.

It appears that aftermarket systems were available earlier than 53. Photos exist of a couple of custom built or rather, modified 51 models with aftermarket systems and as I recall there is a brochure where Henney offered optional AC in their 48-50 models. Perhaps archiveman's upcoming book will have some new information on the subject.

Posted on: 2020/8/17 9:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ALLEN B. SIMONS
See User information
8-17-20

Hi Howard,

According to the late Rod Barclay, author of Boy! That Air Feels Good!, Texas entrepreneurs, who remembered the prewar 1940-1942 Packard and 1941 Cadillac AC units supplied by Bishop & Babcock Mfg. Co., met and cobbled similar units for sale in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area in 1948-1949.

Such "hang-on" units from A.R.A., Frigikar, and Mark IV companies sold about 10K units by 1953, literally dragging reluctant Big Three Detroit automakers, plus Packard, into AC production.

Mr. Barclay's photo-filled story captivates the reader in a metaphor similar to one about David and Goliath.

Allen
archiveman2977

Posted on: 2020/8/17 10:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
"After not offering the option and seeing the pent up demand and sellers market where mfgs could sell anything they could produce no matter how it was equipped, they no longer had any incentive. "

Howard succinctly described what the situation was in those immediate postwar years. Material and supplier difficulties too discouraged offering such comfort options. There may have also been the knowledge gained from the pre-war A/C sales that suggested it wouldn't have a great take rate at that time.

During the 22nd-23rd Series production, anything that slowed production while George Christopher was in charge was to be avoided. But, by 1952. it was common knowledge in the industry that GM makes would be offering A/C for 1953, Packard had to do so to remain competitive, much as they did with power steering and power brakes.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/8/17 10:05
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved