Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Location of No. 1 Piston?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

J-P
See User information
Good evening,
In another topic I talked about the oil leaks on my 356cu engine. Besides the rear main bearing leak, I also have a leak from the oil pump. In the manual, before removing the oil pump, the No 1 piston should be 6 degrees before TDC.
Which one is No 1 piston? The one next to the fan, or the one next to the firewall?
Thank you for you assistance.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 21:18
J-P
 Top  Print 

Re: Location of No. 1 Piston?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Front of the engine next to the fan.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 21:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The one next to the fan but also make sure it is on the compression stroke and not 180 out. You might pull the cap off the distributor and make sure the rotor is pointing somewhere near 7 or 8 o'clock where the wire for number 1 plug is normally positioned before removing anything. If it is pointing somewhere near 1 or 2 o'clock it is 180 out and the crank needs to make another revolution before you stop it at 6 degrees. There is also a small dot on the pump gear so gently pull the pump so you take note of that position too

Posted on: 2020/8/27 21:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
It would be quite unusual for an oil pump to leak but the valve covers on the side of the engine above the pump will quite often leak and the oil will run down onto the pump.
You could also check the bolts on the pump to make sure they are all tight before going to the trouble of removing the pump and then having to line it back up with the distributor when re-installing it.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 22:10
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved