Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cannot open door
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Hello everyone hope all are well
The issue I am having is I am not able to open my driver side door when I press the button in the door handle from the outside .
I have inserted the key and the cylinder will lock and unlock without an issue I am also able to exit the car from inside when using the handle I can lock the door when using the handle on the inside but when I close the door outside the car button simply does not operate.
I can hear the mechanism moving when I lock and unlock the door with the key .
As always Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Posted on: 2020/8/11 21:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Cannot open door
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I think it's the key lock. Somewhere I have a picture.

56 carribean had a problem like this

Had to push lock barrel way in to trip the door rod.

There was a part broken. So it would not hold spring.

Posted on: 2020/8/11 21:53
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The tabs on rod. Fit in door handle. Lock into those holes.

If they are broke. That whole rod moves.

one tab was missing on carribean.

Attach file:

jpg  (413.80 KB)
4498_5f33674bd3698.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (206.75 KB)
4498_5f336789352fc.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (310.30 KB)
4498_5f3367b27105e.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/8/11 22:56
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to what Riki shows and has explained, there is also a good possibility the problem is with a small collar that is attached to the shaft positioned between the pushbutton and the latch assy. The entire shaft rotates with the key cylinder to move a mechanism which works the lock portion while the collar presses against a lever on the latch assy to release the toothed wheel so it can rotate and allow the door to open when the button is pushed. The collar is held on the shaft by a setscrew. It is possible the collar has slid on the shaft and can no longer push the release lever far enough to disengage the toothed wheel.

If you are lucky the collar and particularly the setscrew will still be positioned so you can access the setscrew with an allen wrench thru the access hole under the weatherstrip while it is in the car. If not, then the door handle will need to come off. The service manual explains how to remove the handle but in all probability, if the handle has never been removed the original spring steel retainer piece has rusted to the channel which holds it and the handle in the door and will be broken when you try to remove it. Each handle has a specific retainer piece and they are not interchangeable. While some NOS retainers are still around, repros made of a non rusting material are also available but both NOS and repros are expensive.

The collar is shown in the first photo of a door handle and the lever it pushes against (A) and the mechanism the shaft rotates to lock the door from the outside (B) is shown in the second photo inside the circled portion of a typical 51-6 latch assy. The access hole under the weatherstrip with the collar and setscrew barely visible is shown in the third photo. Whichever way you access the screw, it would be a good idea to liberally apply a penetrating oil such as PB Blaster on the screw and let it sit for several hours before trying to loosen it. If the screw has rusted it may be very difficult to loosen and the setscrew socket may be damaged to the point the handle must be removed and screw drilled out.

The toothed wheel has two different mechanisms for release and if moving the collar slightly toward the inside of the car does not help, it is possible something is broken in the latch assy related to the parts that release the wheel from the outside button.

Attach file:

jpeg  (64.52 KB)
209_5f336cd2546aa.jpeg 745X827 px

jpg  (27.16 KB)
209_5f336cf9e67d6.jpg 401X350 px

jpeg  (114.05 KB)
209_5f3376177a097.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2020/8/11 23:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Not to high Jack this thread, I wanted to say thank you to
Riki and Howard,
These posts are great they have pictures and explanations of what could be the solution to a problem.

Posted on: 2020/8/12 10:01
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Hello gentlemen hope all is well
First I would like to thank everyone for the great pictures and all the helpful information I was able to fix my problem it was the collar I did give it a soak with some WD-40 for a few days when I looked at the mechanism luckily I could see no rust it looked very clean after some slight adjustments of moving the collar and the button back-and-forth I was able to lock it in place where it needs to be and the door opens with the button again with no issues once again I thank you and my 55 400 "Honey"thanks you for your time and Help
Mark

Attach file:

jpeg  (389.97 KB)
167018_5f4ad76694edf.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/8/29 17:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved