Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Horn not honking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
My horn is not working, it was working intermittently for awhile.

I have replaced the relay with a new one from NAPA and replaced some frayed wire from the end of the steering column to switch terminal on the relay.

I hooked up a switch under the hood to the two terminals on the relay (B & S, in the wiring diagram) and a ground and it worked. I have removed the horn rim.
There is the spring and a copper looking disc that is attached to the wire that goes down the steering column

Now, how does it make contact to make the horn blow?

I have couple of pictures but I have forgotten how to resize them.

What is there something to replace, clean or adjust?
I have to have a way to signal people when I get a thumbs up! LOL

Attach file:

jpg  (323.42 KB)
272_5f4eb8696945f.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/9/1 16:21
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print 

Re: Horn not honking
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The contact connected to the wire sits on an insulating washer and is higher than the shaft. When the horn ring assy is screwed down the large sort of blackish metal plate with 3 triangular openings in your photo that is at the center of the chrome horn ring presses tightly against that contact and makes a connection. That blackish piece is isolated from the half circle shaped visible part of the horn ring by virtue of some plastic insulator washers around the 3 screws holding it and the thin sheetmetal spring support to the ring and a plastic spacer like piece and wave spring in the middle that holds the horn ring away from the plate so it cannot touch unless pushed.

Ground is provided to the visible horn ring part by the steering shaft and the large spring which is seated in two metal cup like pieces which locate and hold the spring. The visible ring is kept away from other things yet allowed to move by the plastic insulator and sort of wave washer like spring in the center. When the horn ring is pushed it rocks so its outer edge can move in and touch the isolated contact and connect ground ultimately to the wire.

Not sure why your center piece is black but it looks to be very dirty or maybe painted and could be part of the problem. I would start by cleaning all the pieces and then put things together again. Make sure you watch out for any plastic or fiber insulating washers or sleeves to get them back in the correct spots.

Here is a breakdown of a 47 ring assy. Your pieces are slightly different in shape but identical electrically as far as how the pieces work and fit together. There is a difference between how the entire assy mounts to the wheel and how the horn emblem is attached. Aside from the single piece plastic emblem on yours it also has screws going into the plastic part of the wheel thru the center contact plate from the front whereas the 47 is held by screws coming in from the rear of the wheel and threading into the contact plate.

The relay wire and those contact pieces at voltage potential are colored blue. Red parts are all at ground potential.

Attach file:

jpg  (152.46 KB)
209_5f4ec0365f184.jpg 1250X960 px

Posted on: 2020/9/1 16:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
other picture

Attach file:

jpg  (320.17 KB)
272_5f4ecb3bf1ba9.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/9/1 17:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Use a wire from a good ground (Lower Cup should work.)and touch it to the center brass disk. If the horn sounds then you know the problem is in the Horn Ring Assy.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/9/1 18:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Since it works from the switch, then the horn ring is not getting proper connection.

Posted on: 2020/9/1 20:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I try not to take anything for granted. Wires do break and I would rather be safe then sorry.
The next thing you can check is the Ring (Contact Plate) to the Upper Spring Support. Using an Ohm Meter the Ring (Contact Plate) should rock up and down (One side should go down while the other side stays up.). When it goes down the meter should show zero ohms from open.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/9/2 7:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Thank you Harold, Wes and Jim for your replays. The horn seems to be working for now.

Here is what I did:

At Wes's suggestion, I clipped a ground wire to the lower cup and touched the wire to the center brass disk and the horn worked. This way I knew that the wiring, relay, and horns were working right.

I cleaned the contact plate and everything else I could with solvent and fine steel wool and reassembled.
The horn worked for a while but after a trip through town, it quit again.

I disassembled again and thought that the brass disk was too loose and moving so it didn't make contact. I found a thin black vinyl hose washer in my repair bin that was just the same size as the insulting washer behind the brass disk. I cut a slit in it so it would go over the wire. I put a small amount of craft glue on it to hold it in place
and put it behind the insulting washer to bring the brass disk closer to the contact plate. Maybe the spring is a little weak?

I reassembled again and waited for the glue to dry and it seems to be working fine. We will see if this is the permanent solution.

Thanks' again, guys!

Posted on: 2020/9/4 11:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Good to hear, now that you mention it. I think I remember someone else had a problem were he found a piece of rubber or foam behind the brass disc and it was deteriorated so much that it was sticky like glue or something like that. I think all he did was add a piece of rubber also. Maybe someone else remembers this and can add more light to this.
You didn't say or I missed it, what year is your Packard?
So good going!
Wes

Posted on: 2020/9/4 14:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
'49 Deluxe Eight, 23 series

Posted on: 2020/9/4 18:10
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved