Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Executive script position
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Maybe some relationsship to the firewall number(hand brush painted numbers) as evident in the following pic. I'll check my 5672A-1834 firewall tomorrow in sunshine.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/newbb/177_4923327401aa8.jpg

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
55/56 thief-proof numbers seem to be entirely random, perhaps showing a company in chaos. I've studied these extensively and there is no pattern of any sort to be found.

PackardV8, do I have your numbers? If not I'd appreciate them via PM.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I ambigously stated "firewall" number in my above post with the blue link. I should have said the hand brush painted numbers on the firewall only visible at the line before the final color was added.
I'll go back and edit the post for clarity.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 22:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Returning for a moment to the question of the origin and significance of the "A" following the Executive body type designations 5672A and 5677A, I have heard back from several of the Packard historians I queried on this, several of whom have been thru much of the extant Packard factory documentation; none has found an explanation and thus this remains a mystery.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 10:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
FWIW, your theory that the "A" suffix IDs those models as a mid-year/series entry makes the most sense of anything I've ever heard.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 11:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Brian, I completely agree that it's the most logical explanation I've heard. One other explanation I've heard is that it denotes that this was a body series without a corresponding chassis (it used the 5660 chassis, did it not?)

Posted on: 2009/2/23 12:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Actually, page IIA, in the front matter, of the 1955-56 parts catalog specifically cites a 5670 chassis.

When it comes to chassis parts specific to the 5670 over the 5660, valve covers come to mind (those embossed with Packard on a Clipper engine). Wheel covers would be another (though the parts book also lists the Clipper wheel cover as applicable to 5670).

Posted on: 2009/2/23 13:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I guess I really should have said there wasn't a distinctive and unique Executive chassis. Anyway, that's just someone's conjecture for the A which I suspect will be a perpetual mystery.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 14:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
has the suffix "A" or any other suffix been known to appear on any other 56 or 55 models other than the Executive????

Posted on: 2009/2/23 18:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
not ry'n to change subject here, but i also owned an Exc a few years ago. it had been repainted, but never "restored" Yet it DID NOT have chrome packard scripts, it had gold ones just like the true sr. cars. As for the location of the script on this car i believe it to be right where it was put factory. Packard was still about customer satisfaction if the company was in turmoil. So they would put that script where ever the customer wanted it! A very dear friend of mine has copies of several " nonstandard " templates for added trim and accessories. Think about the fact that all 3 clipper/exc hardtops use the same rear 1/4 panels (fenders) if the trim holes for the scrip were part of the stamping die, they would need at least 3 different dies for the same panel! No, the holes for that script were drilled and i believe they are exactly where the factory put them!

Posted on: 2009/2/23 21:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved