Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: V8 Pistons
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dave, I called and left a message for Dan that I would buy a set.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JV wrote: "Not even a remote possibility of using a diesel piston interchange. A diesel piston of the same bore diameter has a piston pin 50% larger in diameter and the piston weighs 2X as much."

Ultimately true, yes. But if a close piston can be found that just so happens to have a larger than Packard pin then what about eliminating the pin bushing in the rod and simply pressing the larger pin of the donor piston into the Packard rod. This is way most modern engines are assembled. The pin floats in the piston and is pressed into the rod. SBC, F 2.0 4cyl, among others.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 22:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
We've been over this many times. Let's try to explain it one more time. Diesel pistons, rods and crankshafts have to be built hell-for-stout to withstand the 20-1 compression:

1. The International Harvester truck diesels are the closest in the book, offered in a 4.00" and 4.110" bore sizes. These pistons w/pins are TWICEas heavy as a Packard piston w/pin. This doubling of the reciprocating weight would make it practically impossible to balance the crankshaft. If it could be balanced by milling out the counterweights and filling them with Mallory metal, the combined reciprocating/rotating weight would then overstress the crankpins and break the light Packard crankshaft.
2. The IH piston pins are 1.1101" in diameter. This is .1297" larger than the Packard pin. The machine work cost to bore and hone eight rods to size is considerable. The rod small end could possibly be bored out to that oversize, but strength would be unknown.
3. Diesels don't turn fast, so the inertia of heavy pistons isn't a problem at 2250 RPMS. Inertia goes up by the square of the RPM, so the doubled weight of the diesel piston would literally pull the spindly Packard rod apart at anything above 3,500 RPMs.

Bottom line, a diesel would be the worst possible place to look for a piston interchange.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/2/20 12:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Jack for your patience in going over this yet again. I guess some folks just keep thinking that some simple solution has been overlooked. I hope those interested in the possibility of autothermic strut OEM-type pistons have contacted Dan. I know of several who have, myself included, let's hope it's enough.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. I'd like to thank Jack for being patient with 'some folks' too. We're all in this together for the long haul. :o

Posted on: 2009/2/20 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I agree with Jack on this. And besides, has anyone ever seen a diesel piston? I don't think you'd want to use one, unless you want an ultra-low compression ratio.Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/2/20 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2009/2/22 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/2/22 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
hey jack and eric, i also work in an automotive machine shop. just fyi there is a pontiac aftermarket rod now available that is the same size on the big end as a pack, a little long, so it can be use with a shorter deck piston, and a lot stronger! I also agree with the custom piston idea. but then again i'm building a 374 with an isky cam oversized valves, headers,mallory ignition system, higer ratio adjustable rockers and dual afb's. humm guess i want my Packard to PREFORME!!!!!

p.s. yes it's fully balanced!

Posted on: 2009/2/23 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Green Dragon.

Are u using the Pontiac rods in your 374 Packard V8???

Posted on: 2009/2/23 23:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved