Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1928 Starter-Shorting Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, the starter pinion gear being simply engaged in the flywheel should not prevent removal, probably just the accumulation of corrosion products between the aluminum block and cast iron starter. Keep soaking with your favorite snake oil and trying to rotate the starter body. It's an old car, lots of patience also needed.

Posted on: 2020/10/11 11:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I heated up the area around the starter and continued to lube the surrounding area. After about 8 hours and a full can of rust de-solving penetrating oil, I was able to get about a 1/16" travel and was able to slightly turn it.

I used a small (9" pry bar) and was able to work it around the starter collar. After it was about 1" out, with more lube, I was able to get the balance of the starter out. (It looks like the starter had been painted around the inside of the shaft where it contacts with the aluminum- this might of caused the removal issue)

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Posted on: 2020/11/1 20:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Who is a good 'go to' person/company to get the starter repaired?

Posted on: 2020/11/2 16:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming there is no great time urgency, my recommendation would be Jason at AER in Grand Ledge, MI.

http://www.aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2020/11/2 18:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
The starter grounds where the starter and block make contact; clean both surfaces real good and see if it isn't that.

Posted on: 2020/11/8 7:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A more secure ground is probably achieved via the mounting bolt.

Posted on: 2020/11/8 11:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...You might also consider cleaning the starter shaft...if it is gooey and a bit rusty, the starter gear will not slide on it properly...wipe it clean, sand with 600 or so paper and wipe it clean...it will work better...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/11/8 11:39
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Ernie:
You are correct. The starter shaft was all gummed up from the decomposed paint that was done by the prior owner(s). The gunk made it very, very difficult to get the starter out. I ended up heating it to about 300 degrees and used 2 cans of deep creep. Small hand pry-bar helped get it removed after 3 months of effort...

starter needed new brushes (40% left), shaft needed a new bushing (10% left), new bendix spring (30% left), and new strike plate (refurbished 50% left with crack in plate). Everything was cleaned with armature verified to be true and varnish intact.

Posted on: 2020/11/11 10:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Can anyone tell me what gloss of black should be on the starter?

Mine has smooth semi-gloss on it but my generator has a mat pebbly finish. I assume it should be mat?

Thanks
Gar

Posted on: 2020/11/24 12:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't answer with 100% assurance for your specific year, but the Owen-Dyneto starters and generators were typically finished with crinkle-finish semigloss black paint.

Posted on: 2020/11/24 12:58
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved