Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

droopy outside door handle
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
1946 Packard, driver's side front door outside handle droops down. Is there any cure for this problem? John

Posted on: 2020/11/9 17:16
 Top  Print 

Re: droopy outside door handle
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I can't exactly answer your question because I am just familiar with the 1937 Seniors.
The Super-Eight and Twelve have a small spring that holds the handle up in a horizontal position.
Maybe the 1946 has a similar spring.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.23 KB)
441_5faa127c29083.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2020/11/9 23:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
It may I haven't tried taking it a part yet. John

Posted on: 2020/11/10 9:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Clippers have a different latch and handle so do not use that particular spring. There is a spring which conceivably could be weak but I believe the droop is more likely caused by wear either on the square shaft attached to the handle or the square holes in the pair of latch release cams the shaft fits into -- or both.

I believe some have corrected the droop by heating and twisting the shaft to offset the droop in both Clippers and the conventional bodies. IMO, that procedure is troublesome because the shaft could be damaged by too much heat and is at best a time consuming trial and error thing. Too much twist and the handle will point upward which to me would be just as irritating and not enough, it will still droop. Without the handle spring, not sure what other alternatives there would be other than find better parts or maybe add some other type balance spring that would only work on lifting the handle. You could probably add a torsion spring near the latch by modifying the shaft a tiny amount. If there is significant wear that might also raise the handle instead of leveling it though.

Attach file:

jpeg  (74.86 KB)
209_5faaca1f9db96.jpeg 1280X689 px

jpeg  (156.99 KB)
209_5faaca299469e.jpeg 1000X1280 px

Posted on: 2020/11/10 12:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Obviously there's a cure for it or would never have matched the other side.

One of those can't diagnose over the internet, have to open it up and look see what's "wrong". If not able, take to body shop. Door panel/handle removal required. I think these are "pin type" connected handles. Put lots of light on the subject and exercise the parts and see what's not acting, missing, worn, or bent.
Typical of wear/abuse, since the other side does not suffer the same fate. People/children tend to hang on door handles and slam things, so this is what happens. PO was possibly type "A". May have been misaligned/lack of lubrication at some point and hard to close, so more and more force was used. Rather than fix the problem, they tend to get angry with it and muscle until a "now look what you did" situation occurs.
May need to replace assy(s) or a guess is: the latch return spring is broken, missing, or worn. Torsional springs tend to lose tension more easily with use and would be typical, as noted.
Have no idea where you'd find a spring - may have to make. Unless similar to other brands.
No idea who made these parts for the body company? I don't know of any interchange here either, but early or later may adapt as P ran in "series" which span more than one model year.
The "usual" sources may have used parts(?)
Spray a little white lithium grease on the working parts when re-installed/done. Should be in the lube schedule. Of all the auto dealers I've dealt with, only one actually lubed the doors as std protocol. Nice touch, A+

Posted on: 2020/11/11 11:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I found that handle return spring had failed on my 22nd series driver's door. The design of the 22nd series latch is slightly different than the one shown, but appears to be similar enough to draw the conclusion that the Bassick Company may have manufactured it. Bassick had been a supplier of latches for years and had an association with both Murray and Briggs . . . perhaps others.

Posted on: 2020/11/11 17:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Max Merritt
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000022c~Z5Z5Z5332~P5.00~~~~S5WP0HSNEY72122020251b~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000022C

Posted on: 2020/11/12 7:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Note the previous post is for an interior door handle spring. Sorry about that.

Perhaps this older post will help

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18950&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=10

Posted on: 2020/11/12 7:51
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved