Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Noisy v8 water pump?
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Has anyone experienced noisy water pumps on the V8s?
My first pump ran only a thousand miles or was was growling .
The rebuilder sent me a fresh one & thought the first one looked really good inside.(upon disassembly)
This pump has maybe 8-10K on it and really growls. The sound really seemed like it was in the lower front of the engine but it was a great relief that it was not.
Quiet without the belt, noisy with the belt. Funny thing is, the pump feels really good, it's just the the seal(or something) that squeaks a little.
Has anyone here experienced something similar?
Thanks!

Posted on: 2020/11/7 22:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Noisy v8 water pump?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...We had a similar noise with our 1949 -288 engine...it turned out all we needed was a new fan belt and a bit of belt lube...its hot and dry in the Arizona Desert and everything, including people, dry out and make funny noises! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/11/8 11:45
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In my experience the first sign of impending pump failure will be coolant loss at the weep hole which results from coolant passing the seal. If allowed to remain in service, eventually you'll get bearing noise from the coolant working its way into the bearing. Over-tensioning the fan belt will certainly hasten failure.

Just from what I've experienced and what others have noted, the V8 water pump is no more or no less prone to failure than earlier cars.

Posted on: 2020/11/8 12:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Interesting thoughts. A spare pump might be a good investment.

Posted on: 2020/11/9 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
One trick to check for belt noise, with the engine idling and the belts tensioned properly (not too tight or loose), CAREFULLY apply a bar of soap to each side of the fan belt. This will usually quiet a noisy belt at least temporarily.

If it's not the belt, pour a can of water pump lube into the radiator. It will quiet a noisy bearing and prolong lifespan.

Posted on: 2020/11/21 16:32
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Who was our club member that rebuilt these? A road spare may be a good idea...

Posted on: 2021/10/6 18:03
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved