Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Restorable 1937 Packard 12
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information

Posted on: 2020/12/10 1:33
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Re: Restorable 1937 Packard 12
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe it was BDC who posted about this car a few days ago. Unfortunately for these once magnificent sedans, the cost of a decent restoration would probably exceed the value of the finished car by a very large multiple. The car looks quite complete, but unfortunately it needs just about everything, just a professional engine rebuild could be in the range of $50,000. It's value may (unhappily) lie in a chassis for a body swap to an open car and become another car with a replica patent plate, phony VN, and a lost link to its past. How sad it was allowed to deteriorate to this condition.

Posted on: 2020/12/10 9:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
What makes the V-12 engines so expensive for rebuild? Parts that expensive or non existent? John

Posted on: 2020/12/10 9:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Several reasons. Cylinder bores are not perpendicular with the deck making a modest complication for boring, and the hydraulic valve take-up mechanisms are quite complex requiring some real precision work, they run on about 1500 needle bearings. A valve job alone can run to $20,000 or more. OEM type rod bearings have been unavailable for a long time requiring a workaround. Original cast iron cylinder heads are difficult to source and original aluminum heads are generally scrap. Timing chain castings have intergral pass-thru water passages and often require extensive repair, though I understand a repro is now available. Items like distributor caps can be expensive, $500 or more. And there aren't many qualified shops that have proven track records of dealing with this engine and those that do generally have pretty full workloads.

And a very limited number ever built, only 5744 cars + whatever small number for parts inventory.

Posted on: 2020/12/10 10:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Packard newbie wrote:
Looks like a project!!! Chris.
https://bringatrailer.com/li(lsting/1937-packard-fifteen-series-twelve/

What a neat old car! I think I would be satisfied driving it as a survivor (if only it ran ).

Owen's comments don't bode well for this car, but I understand the reasoning. But what would be worse - to use this chassis to recreate an open Packard, or end up with a GM LS V8 and automatic transmission?

Posted on: 2020/12/10 14:44
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Will this be another non restored 12?

On PAC Facebook page.

Here is a nice winter project. $17,500.00. Have all engine parts. Clear title. Has it's CCCA senior badge. In storage 20 years. Can not tell you why the top end was disassembled. At my shop in suburban Chicago. Enclosed transport available. Keep the faith. John
https://www.facebook.com/markmotorcarsinc

Attach file:

jpeg  (65.32 KB)
1220_5fd288e41d77e.jpeg 640X480 px

jpeg  (70.09 KB)
1220_5fd288ed13636.jpeg 640X480 px

jpeg  (46.94 KB)
1220_5fd288f77be81.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2020/12/10 15:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I notice that the V-12 has a unique setup with the canted valves. Thanks for the info Owen.

Posted on: 2020/12/10 21:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Those are sobering numbers on rebuild costs, Dave. Such a grand old car, though... BTW - sorry guys, I have no idea how I ended up posting this in the PARTS department!! Too late to move it now; sometimes I think I need a 'check-up from the neck-up'!!! (been in isolation too long!! LOL) Chris.

Posted on: 2020/12/11 1:39
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Info on rebuild. Worth a watch if interested.
https://youtu.be/9BXYUjLJPdc

Posted on: 2020/12/11 10:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
1 unique feature on this Twelve is the fact that it hasn't sidemounts and no spare mounted in the rear. I've seen those with 1 sidemount but I think I've never seen a Twelve sedan without sidemounts.

Posted on: 2020/12/11 10:52
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved