Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

humanpotatohybrid, tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Twelve water jacket covers
Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
I was working on the water jacket covers and noticed I had a small rust hole in one corner.

I removed a brass plate that had been soldered to the back of the cover in about 5-6 spots.

It basically serves to keep water out of the cover?

Is that supposed to be there?

There was an accumulation of rust scale in between the cover and the brass plate. Odd.

My Pierce 8 has a jacket with slots which helps direct water to the cylinder bores but this one does not do that.

I am perplexed.

In the picture, bottom to top, jacket cover, brass plate rust inside.

Attach file:

jpg  (0.00 KB)
181435_5fe4e06a49eeb.jpg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2020/12/24 13:40
 Top  Print 

Re: Twelve water jacket covers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
You are in good company - I am awaiting a stainless steel water jacket for a Standard 8 from Kanters. I would suspect that the original steel insert (i.e., which the brass plate replaced) was so rotted out that when the prior owner decided to replace it with the brass plate there were no holes or otherwise a frame of reference that they should be there. I'd have to believe that there should be holes directed to each cylinder. It is my understanding that the water jacket receives cooled water from the radiator via the pump and equitably distributes it so hotspots are minimized. Mine still had the holes, but had enough rot that I decided to replace it as its effectiveness would've been greatly reduced.

Posted on: 2020/12/26 7:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
PS: I think there should be a slot located on the front end of the cover that is just wide enough to collect the cooled water coming of the water pump -- at that is how mine is configured

Posted on: 2020/12/26 7:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Greenfield,

Here is the cover from my Pierce 8. I assume the Packard ones are similar, based on your description. Pierce is a little different with the water entering the middle of the cover.

I don't see where a diverter structure like this were in these covers.

Attach file:

jpg  (0.00 KB)
181435_5fe764fc960ed.jpg 0X0 px

jpg  (0.00 KB)
181435_5fe7656b8cb70.jpg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2020/12/26 11:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Check out this thread, which has an image of what a decent looking water jacket looks like for a 8 cylinder version.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20402&forum=1

Posted on: 2020/12/26 14:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Here is a picture of the rotted out version of what I decided to replace. Note the bottom edge that is completely rusted out, but distribution holes still present. On the extreme right is the slot that receives the cooled water for ongoing distribution through the holes. Take a look at your block and see if you see some port or galley that logically mates to the pump outflow that would similarly receive the cooled water. It needs to be there or the water jacket will not function as designed.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.84 KB)
198445_5fe7979f1815b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2020/12/26 15:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
It is a stamped plate. Nothing in side. Unless in 38 they changed . my dad's 36 is a stamped plate.

He casted 2 pair out of aluminium. Then machined them.

This. Way before stainless was around.

Posted on: 2020/12/26 17:09
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Riki,

Great picture. Thanks.

Is the one you show on the driver's side?

And I am assuming it is off your 12?

Bill

Posted on: 2020/12/27 9:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
The cover is steel, the brass plate is not original , added to fix the leak from the hole in the steel cover. Packard senior 8's like your Pierce have an inner steel plate with holes to direct the flow between the cylinders.. If you have just a few small holes I suggest grinding them to expose good thicker metal and brazing the holes. Put soluble oil ( cooling system anti-rust) in the cooling system to retard future corrosion

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2020/12/27 20:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Blasted the covers to near white. I thought I was done but there were a couple of stubborn rust spots. I hit them again and they went right thru.

I gas welded the holes with a #1 tip. Now just need to clean them up and prime them.

This is the end of this thread, moving it back over to the blog.

Attach file:

jpg  (0.00 KB)
181435_5fef42d8443be.jpg 0X0 px

jpg  (0.00 KB)
181435_5fef42ee56f37.jpg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2021/1/1 10:42
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved