Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

Jack Vines, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49 oil pan
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mike49
See User information
Hi all,
I'm new to the site. Lots of good stuff, so I'm happy to have found it.
I have a 49, 2301 series with 288 engine.
I'd like to drop the oil pan. Question is whether I'll have to remove the flywheel cover. I've seen comments that it is necessary on some models.
The problem with removing the cover is there's a bolt on the end of the cover towards the trans that is hard up against a frame cross member that would be a lot of work to move. I probably couldn't do it.
I found a very good youtube video by Wesley Boyer where he has just enough room to take out that bolt and remove the cover. My car is a different set up.
Hoping someone can give some guidance. I don't want to do all the work to get that far and find out I cant get the pan off.
Thanks,
Mike

Posted on: 2021/1/26 21:32
 Top  Print 

Re: 49 oil pan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have a 23rd series and my 356 engine (also the one Wes posted the video on) is different from yours so the procedure may not be the same. As I recall though, most of the removal issues were due to hard to access bolts above the front crossmember and needing to turn the crank to get a counterweight out of the way so the pan could slide back.

Here is an old post where someone else is asking about a 23rd series so maybe some info there.

Also another. If you do a search for oil pan removal there are other posts for engines in the 51-4 years. The engine blocks are the same as yours but frame and mounts are different. Perhaps some of those posts would give a hint on what is needed anyway.

Posted on: 2021/1/27 10:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mike49
See User information
Thanks for the reply, Howard. I had not seen that first post in my searching, so good information.
Mike

Posted on: 2021/1/27 15:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As far as I know you do not need to remove the front cover but the pan’s forward edge bolts are screwed into a steel plate that sometimes just rests in the bottom lip of the front cover so be careful it doesn’t get moved when the last screw is taken out or the holes won’t line up! Easy to fix but if you don’t know it’s there, it might cause a mystery!

Posted on: 2021/1/27 16:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mike49,
to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't offer any help.

However, I invite to include your '49 2301 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2021/1/27 16:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I guess it depends why? U want to drop the pan? Is it just for inspection, cleaning, or lower end repairs? I'd think this is a job for a lift, not crawling on the ground. From memory, I think you'd have to jack up the engine a bit to clear the front cross member. I took a lot of grief here when I filled my pan with kerosene, soaked, and flushed(several times) all the sediment before I started it. Worked well, just have 5 gal of contaminated keroesene to dispose. I've a different model and eventually pulled the motor. So can take pictures if needed. Not sure if there's anything in the shop manual on pan removal? I remember it being referenced in PM. It should be on here, if you don't have a copy. I've been off the P project and slowly getting back so memory not fresh. You can also get a portable inspection camera from the chinese tool take out for a <$150 and look around.

Posted on: 2021/1/28 10:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
'chinese tool take out'... Jim, that's what I am going to call those places from here, forward! As much as I loathe inferior chinese junk, especially in the tool end of the manufacturing spectrum, I do admit they have their place. For single use and very light duty, I will go to the import outlets, but I sure search far and wide to find domestic-made products. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/1/28 15:53
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
NewB; America is China's biggest retail outlet. Promoted by Amazon, ebay, etc. Our Govt has permitted this economic "rape" at the expense of made in USA. "USA" - big box store of China, INC. They have 5 year plans targeting industries, we have chaos, waste, and division in Govt. We're basically "$ bankrupt" as a country. Treasury is so far in the hole, we can not recover and they're still trying to spend.
I search long and hard to find good stuff and still get buffaloed most times. Most of the identity is concealed even though required by import law. I got no where with the FTC on that. Even if it comes from some other place components often are not. Sad situation. I went through this in the '60s with J.A.Pan Co. Dumping cheap worthless goods here. They finally took over our autos, do to sloven US Co.practices in the'80s.
Sorry, for the politics, but if we don't stand our ground?
I was over there 4 times for plants making chemicals, so I'm guilty, but woke up. I've dropped a wad on 'throw away" junk tools. Some are not fit for throwing away! Something anti to my conservative principles. Ask the man that bought one...
Shoot straight. Saves bullets.

Posted on: 2021/1/29 9:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Well said Jim, and I echo your sentiments. If you knew the time I have spent searching for domestic-made products! One thing I will say, I used to go into a store and ask if they had anything made in North America and the store clerks would look at me like I had four heads - they don't anymore. There does seem to be a 'return to focus' on 'made in the USA' (or Canada) and that is a good thing. And speaking of the quality issues, I went to replace our coffee grinder and went through 3, brand new, out-of-the box units from the local hardware store before getting one that worked; and get this - one of them lit on fire when I plugged it in!!! I know we all have our pet peeves, but I don't think it's wrong to want to protect our economies, save domestic jobs and procure quality merchandise. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/1/29 11:23
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Chris...You are absolutely right in my book! I don't mind paying a bit more for a quality product made in North America! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/1/29 15:23
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved