Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 114

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

2126 starting issues.....still....
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Finally getting back to the starting issues with a "everything rebuilt" system. thanks to Howard and others, I have about all of the wiring schematics and interestingly enough, they all seem to correspond. Starting to trace where the break down is in ignition and thought I would start with the starter switch on carburetor. I would think (with battery disconnected), I would get continuity between the two poles of the starter switch. I get nothing when throttle is advanced. I don't see the mechanism externally but I do see that the pin that the throttle controls pivot on goes into the body of the carb switch. Does that then make the contact inside the cylindrical switch housing where the "black box" is mounted?. Thanks to all for all of the leads to circuit tracing diagrams.
Cheers

Posted on: 2021/1/30 19:58
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Re: 2126 starting issues.....still....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This article on the switch is out of an old issue of Motors Manual and has been posted a couple of times. Not sure if it was when you were having issues and might have seen it though.

The mechanism is fairly simple but one of the things that has caused problems for others is if the plastic wedge shaped plunger the contact spring is mounted on is upside down with the long part on top. If that is the case the ball is not able to transmit the proper mechanical action to fully engage the contacts or raise to seal off the port which results in a vacuum leak. The contact spring can also burn or pit and have an intermittent connection with the terminal contacts.

Attach file:

jpg  Carb switch_Page_1.jpg (228.66 KB)
209_60161763306db.jpg 1000X1384 px

jpg  Carb switch_Page_2.jpg (118.59 KB)
209_60161778ef1ee.jpg 1000X599 px

Posted on: 2021/1/30 21:38
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Thanks Howard. One more piece to decipher in the process. Carb was rebuilt but not sure if the switch was dismantled and reinstalled. But...the short answer is there should be continuity I guess when the linkage is advanced.

Posted on: 2021/1/30 21:58
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Read the very last paragraph in the posting. necessary to connect battery...
I don't think you get continuity without power on the circuit. You have to turn the key on in the car first for it to start and run.
I just made a jumper and by-passed this switch rather than try to make it work. What was once novel, is now nuisance.

Posted on: 2021/1/31 19:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not quite and, in fact, the opposite. Continuity is checked with an ohm meter and is often better with at least one end disconnected so that you know you are checking only the wire you're trying to check. Feeding 6v or 12v into an ohm meter would probably damage it so, of course, you would want the battery disconnected too or take care to not measure a wire where there might be power.

That said, you can check whether a wire has power going through it or not using a light or volt meter which I suppose is testing the continuity, albeit indirectly.

Posted on: 2021/2/1 2:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Is it advised using a jumper wire to circumvent the carb start switch to check that the plunger is still correctly oriented because wouldn't there be a vacuum leak if the plunger were upside down? Maybe a leak of no consequence, but still......?

Posted on: 2021/2/1 12:47
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Steve wrote:
...wouldn't there be a vacuum leak if the plunger were upside down?...

The orientation of the plunger shouldn't affect the vacuum. As long as the ball is present and located above the plunger, it should be pulled up in the shaft and block the vacuum intake when the engine is running.

Posted on: 2021/2/1 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thanks for the clarification JD.
Steve

Posted on: 2021/2/2 10:26
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think I know how to check continuity the reference tells how to check it.
Refer to the instructions on how to check, as written above where I referenced, and Howard presented.
Since it's basically a switch, when it's "OFF" it won't have "continuity". Only when it's "ON", will current pass. GEEZ!

Posted on: 2021/2/5 15:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
... What was once novel, is now nuisance.

Great saying. A lot of things were tried back in the day when these cars were new. Some worked out, some not so much.

I installed a push button starter switch in my 47 Custom parallel with the carb switch. Best of both worlds so to speak.

Posted on: 2021/2/6 13:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved