Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 125

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater core
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Hi, on my 22nd series Deluxe 8. I want to remove the heater core. There are 5 small screws that I was able to remove but can't tell what is on the bottom of the heater core housing. I don't feel any screws but there is something holding it. Does anyone know what is on the bottom? The 5 screws allowsome movement but the part I can't see is stopping me from taking it out. Thanks, Dave

Posted on: 2021/2/6 10:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Heater core
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Too many years since I messed with one to offer detailed suggestions but here are some photos showing the unit out of the car. One of them might give a clue what could be holding. The arrow points to studs that go thru the firewall and have nuts inside the plenum assy on the interior side of the firewall. The plenum halves need to separate to access the nuts. Those studs and nuts hold the heater unit to the car if you are trying to remove the entire assy. In addition to the studs a sheetmetal screw is on the blower motor ground wire and there might be another welded tab with a sheetmetal screw on the blower assy very low on the engine side.

On some heaters I have seen a rubber like cushion material around the core that might have deteriorated and hardened or even turned into a glue like mass. If any was used on that heater it could also be holding things together.

Attach file:

jpg  L heater assy.JPG (219.58 KB)
209_601ebf2d0eff1.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  R heater assy.JPG (236.81 KB)
209_601ebf384b868.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  S heater assy 2.JPG (228.68 KB)
209_601ebf423009b.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  4_57.JPG (262.74 KB)
209_601ebf7dea3de.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2021/2/6 11:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Thanks for the quick reply. After seeing your pictures I think there may be more screws that need to come out. I will see what I can find. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2021/2/6 15:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
There are 7 screws in total that fasten the cover to the main housing, one on either side of the rectangular blower inlet, two on each side and one on top.

Posted on: 2021/2/6 15:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
All I remember is it didn't just come out as easy as I thought it would, but no tricks. There was a gasket if I recall. I have it in the garage apart if need pix. I had the fender and inner fender off, so it was a lot easier to access. So if trying in place it might be tougher to see/access.

Posted on: 2021/2/9 19:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved