Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Heater hose steel line
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
I’m finishing the last of the engine on my 42’ 282 and the steel tube from the water pump to the heater that goes down the top of the engine was only a couple of rusted pieces and was to far gone to get any accurate measurements as to how long it should be and how high off the cylinder head it should be routed. Also need to know how it is mounted to the brace for the air cleaner.
Any thoughts?

The picture shows what I have so far, just need to cut and lower it to the proper height and flare it

Thanks again for your help!

Attach file:

jpeg  87407C60-6BC2-4753-B3DD-E9038920EE4A.jpeg (288.56 KB)
1088_602dad784bc9a.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/2/17 19:00
 Top  Print 

Re: Heater hose steel line
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if it would be any help but if no one can give exact info or have photos of the 42 version the 282 engine was also used on some mid to late 30s 120 models. There was a 1936 service article giving some dimension and shape info for the tube. Possibly one of those tubes would be the same as a 42 or at least get you in the ballpark.

I don't know if the tube was fastened to the air cleaner brace but do recall some photos of other engines showing a couple of flat L shaped standoffs with holes the outer diameter of the tube. I don't remember if there were any grommets used though. The standoffs were supported from the cylinder head studs and nuts. The tube fit thru the holes in the standoffs and was positioned maybe 3-4 inches above the head.

The article with tube dimensions is on the second page of this service letter.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL10NO18.pdf

Posted on: 2021/2/17 19:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
My 42 110 convertible does not have a tube and have never lost a point in PI national meet or any other show. I could be wrong, would suggest you look for some factory pictures. Don Figone is the expert on 42's on the west coast, you might track him down and ask. I can send you a picture of my 42 if you wish. Just to let you know the rubber ends on the sparkplugs are a no no for shows.

Posted on: 2021/2/17 20:11

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As I recall, my 1939 Six had the tube and it had. Clamp that connected it to the air cleaner support. I believe I even still have the support but not sure. However, I don’t recall having the tube on any of a 1940 110s.

Posted on: 2021/2/17 21:45
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
This is the only picture I could find on the web, It says its a 1942 Clipper
It does show the tube.

Attach file:

jpg  heater tube 2.jpg (21.48 KB)
1088_602e50fe52692.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2021/2/18 6:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
someone was reproducing the tubes. Ulrich?

Posted on: 2021/2/18 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I'll chime in here. On my '37, I have what I BELIVEVE is the factory tube. Copper, with one standoff to hold it off the head.

Rubber hose to the heater barb on the firewall, and to a pipe barb in the water pump neck.

Trying to find out if should be green (I am assuming so) or black.

Good luck with your search.

Attach file:

jpg  Heater tube.jpg (44.56 KB)
2964_602e8d6657c11.jpg 599X337 px

Posted on: 2021/2/18 10:53
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That tube on the 42 Clipper is sure prominent and looks ripe for damage or always being in the way of a service access. I do not recall ever seeing anything like that on other prewar Clipper photos that have been posted but there are a couple of photos in the archive showing a much lower tube on conventional body prewar 40-42 356 engines -- much like the tube on the 37 engine.

I have a couple of 41 Clipper photos. The cars would have the 282 engine but do not show a tube. Those Clippers have the rubber heater hose heading directly over and clamped on the inner fender as was done postwar. Wonder if that tube was a one year thing for some reason or if it was on 41 and 42 Clippers but was a candidate for early removal by a dealership mechanic.

If someone has a 42 parts manual would it be listed or would it be considered part of the accessory heater packages which would not have made into parts books. It is not an obvious listing in the 41-7 Clipper parts manual.

Posted on: 2021/2/18 10:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
I have checked John Ulrich's web site and he makes one that looks like what I have and says it's for 38-42.
I have looked in my parts books, service manual and service letters and can not find a reference to it - it could be in there but I may be looking in the wrong area. The original engine that came with the car was a 42 block and it had about 3" of the tube sticking out of the water pump and it was broken off at that point.

Would anyone have an engine bay judging standard that might show it? I tried to buy one from Packards international but they will not return calls or emails and they are not accepting memberships.

Posted on: 2021/2/18 11:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I looked in my PI judging manual last night and did not see any thing regarding heater tubes. Also looked through all the Packard books I have, no luck. I am thinking there might be a difference in factory and dealer equipped heaters. I will get some pictures of my 42 tomorrow.

Posted on: 2021/2/18 19:39

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved