Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

Packard Don, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 Packard Vin title number.
Just popping in
Just popping in

Zoltar
See User information
Bought this vehicle from somebody who is owned it for over 30 years. Has been registered and driven no problem. I can't find a corresponding number to the number on the title my number on the title is H249308. I have found body number, engine number and theft number none of them match this number. Any help or advice is appreciated thanks

Attach file:

jpg  20210308_125047.jpg (401.17 KB)
224864_604906197e685.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/3/10 12:47
 Top  Print 

Re: 1950 Packard Vin title number.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The number is an engine number but that’s the problem registering by engine number as they often get changed. If the car has the vehicle number tag, then try to register it using that number which should have 23XX-5-XXXX. The Xs, of course, are placeholders since you didn’t say what yours is.

Posted on: 2021/3/10 13:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
H249308 sounds like an engine number. It indicates a 288 5 main which would have been the stock engine in a 23rd series standard or deluxe eight. H249xxx would put it in the range for the 49 model year production. It is very possible the engine was changed sometime in the cars life. If the current engine number does not start with an H it was not originally in a 23rd series 49-50 model.

Back in those days there was no uniform registration. Some states registered cars by engine number while others used the vehicle number. Sometimes a replaced engine with a mismatched engine number can cause real issues today with cars originally registered under the engine number.

If your number does not match and the car has been able to be registered you might ask the seller what the number is or how registration was done with a number you cannot find. Possibly if the car never changed hands and the engine was replaced after the car was first registered to that owner the paperwork never got updated.

Posted on: 2021/3/10 13:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That is the engine number, and as Howard said it was not uncommon for a state DMV to register a vehicle with it.

Take a look at the Packard Decoder and it will show you where your Vehicle Number, Engine, etc should be. Sometimes people confuse the engine casting number with the engine serial number. But there are in different spots.

As far as that engine number, here is the info on it:

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 281.jpg (191.18 KB)
1_60490f11c3183.jpg 1394X1846 px

Posted on: 2021/3/10 13:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Just to clarify, casting numbers, dates and that sort of thing are in raised characters that are part of the mould while the engine number is stamped into the block individually on a smooth, flat boss somewhere on the left side of the engine. It’s exact location varied by year and model.

Getting it sorted out should not be difficult and even as a licensed VIN verifier in California, I have assisted people with this very issue. Of course, it sometimes depends on who helps you at the DMV but with a formal verification document done by a professional, it should be easy to sort out as long as the proper tag is there and readable.

Posted on: 2021/3/10 13:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Zoltar,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '50 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2021/3/10 15:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved