Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1942 packard running boards
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ben Emge
See User information
Ok... so I’m restoring a 1942 packard that was originally a WW2 ambulance. It has since become a convertible somewhere down the line. The grill was too far gone, so I made my own out of 3/8” steel rods. I’ve found most everything I need, except the rubber on the running boards.... the running boards are about 95.75” long. I’ve been told the rubber was vulcanized to the running boards in ‘42. Anyone have any tips to lead me in the right direction?

Ben

Attach file:

jpeg  E94D6C07-C618-4942-A93C-38B6A5F450D8.jpeg (270.20 KB)
224887_605e438ccdf71.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  99DD2AC6-FAC6-4422-8CBD-894EA78E5154.jpeg (245.98 KB)
224887_605e43a3cdd0c.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  9776CBAE-8926-4D18-B671-8E3E9F108D9A.jpeg (288.90 KB)
224887_605e4438e0f5b.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/3/26 15:27
 Top  Print 

Re: 1942 packard running boards
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
When I started my 39 Project there was an older gent who had the patterns for the running board covers. I delayed buying them and learned around a year ago that he had retired and sold his patterns to an outfit in New York.
They advertise in Hemmings so I called and was quoted a price that was multiples higher than the one originally quoted....over $2400.
My car is not being assembled for Pebble Beach and as a six cylinder car it does not make sense to pay $2400 for authentic pattern running board covers.
I had mine sprayed by a local Rhino Liner bed lining outfit...$275.
They look fine and I am sure they will outlast me.
Your call on whether rubber covers make sense.

Posted on: 2021/3/26 19:22
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
I had my 1941 boards vulcanised by Hunley Acuff in Georgia. Gorgeous! Cost was around $1000. Not sure if he is still with us.

Posted on: 2021/3/26 19:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Steele used to make replacement rubber but it's been out of production for a while. Fortunately the outer pattern is the same as the underlying steel, so spray-up in polyurethane is an option. Your upper stainless trim is standard Junior trim. Take good care of the side pieces - those are not common in your unusual length

Posted on: 2021/3/27 8:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Huntley Acuff is the gentleman who originally quoted on the running boards. He had retired and sold the patterns at least a year ago.
I have no idea whether he is still alive but I hope so....he was a true southern gentleman.

I am unaware of anyone other than the restoration company in New York who offers vulcanization service for the running boards in the US. There was a company advertising the service from Canada before the pandemic. I have no idea whether they do good work, are still in business or would be permitted to ship across the border.( Maybe Packard Newbie knows).

I understand the need of the New York company to charge more for services in light of higher wages and operating costs. If I were restoring a car that was going for judging or had more potential resale value, it might make sense to pay the higher price.

Posted on: 2021/3/27 12:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Ewrecks,

Do you know the name or location of the Canadian company? Chances are I would know them and have no problem doing some checking from this end if it would help out. FWIW, my car came with reproed running boards and the fabricator had welded 1/4" square stock for 'ribs' onto the foot surface, and then they were generously 'Rhino-coated'. While I know this is not original or 'judge-worthy' at a show, they look perfectly acceptable to me, and for the aforementioned market value of a Six, a viable/acceptable option. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/3/27 14:21
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Could be wrong but I think this is the Canadian running board company being asked about.http://www.runningboardrubber.com

Posted on: 2021/3/27 15:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ben Emge,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '42 Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/3/27 15:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for furnishing that link, Howard. I have NOT heard of that particular company. Having spent the bulk of my working life in the rubber industry, I do know the major players, but these guys seem like a niche-market Mom and Pop shop that solely services the vintage car market. That being said, they are probably a perfectly reputable vendor and freight along with price competitiveness would be the final arbiters as to whether it would be worth dealing with them. They are 6-7 road hours away from me, but regardless, let me know if I can be of any help. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/3/27 20:26
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Looks like Steele Rubber does it Made-to-Order for around $1,000. They also make the trim Made-to-Order, it appears.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 11:43
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved