Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 161

dallas, tabletennissport, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

8th Series Distributor drive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Hi guys -- Trying to get my 31 running. Carb Doctor rebuilt the DL Model 51, Jeff got the distributor curve situated, had the generator and voltage regulator rebuilt. Tried to start; nothing. pulled the distributor and saw the rotor is about an inch off where the distributor terminal is for Spark No. 1, that leads me to conclude the driveshaft is off. Is the adjustment such that I lift the shaft, reposition until I get the rotor to line up with No. 1 terminal? I take it shaft is geared where it mates to the camshaft gear?

Posted on: 2021/3/28 19:15
 Top  Print 

Re: 8th Series Distributor drive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, the shaft is not geared. It terminates in a simple square configuration (thus allowing only a 90 degree adjustment) that then nests into the actual drive gear.

My comment above is based on the 9th Series and later 320 and 384 engines, I believe the prior engines are similarly configured. Just lift the drive shaft out to confirm.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 19:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
yes it looked like a 90 degree adjustment might be the fix. it's just a square drive system?

Posted on: 2021/3/28 19:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the distributor drive shaft itself is square and allows a 90 degree adjustment; hopefully no one has altered the positioning of the camshaft-driven gear which drives the shaft.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 19:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Excellent, and thanks very much. I don't think the cam gear has been altered. Is there any risk of pulling the cam gear out as I draw up the distributor drive shaft or is the gear captive?

Posted on: 2021/3/29 5:35
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
Hopefully you do not end up like my 9th series, I moved the dist. 90 degrees but it did not solve the problem. The lock pin is very close to spark plug
#4, moving it 90 degrees and the grease cup is too close to spark plug #5. Fortunately the car starts and runs well but if I need to adjust the timing any further I can not do it without touching the plug.

Attach file:

jpg  Distributor1.jpg (271.75 KB)
165673_6065d1d4738e7.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/4/1 9:03
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved