Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

kevinpackard, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The Term "Oil Filter Landing" - what does it mean?
Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone know what the term "Oil Filter Landing" means. I'm looking at oil filter relocation kits and this website mentions the following:

Specifications
Filter thread size: 3/4"-16
Filter landing: 2-1/2", 2-3/4"
Inlet size: 1/2"

I've never heard the term "Filter Landing". I can venture a guess that it's the OD of the filter, then again it could be the OD of the filter gasket.

Thank you in advance,
Crin

Posted on: 2021/4/5 19:57
 Top  Print   

Re: The Term "Oil Filter Landing" - what does it mean?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would take the term to mean the diameter of the second path or port in the filter element. One port would be the center opening but isn't there a machined surface on the adapters where the gasket at the second path or port outer diameter can seat? Maybe the two dimensions mean there are two distinct machined areas and a filter having either size can be fitted.

Posted on: 2021/4/5 20:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Thank you for the reply. I believe it's one smooth surface that can accommodate either size but what I can't tell is whether it's the outer diameter of the filter or just the gasket.

Posted on: 2021/4/5 20:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Based on this photo of a filter the outer diameter is somewhat larger than the gasket surrounding the port. I would say the landing would be the machined surface to fit the diameter of the gasket.

Attach file:

jpg  spin on filter.jpg (65.61 KB)
209_606bb7eaae5db.jpg 800X681 px

Posted on: 2021/4/5 20:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The obvious thing to do in a case like this is call or email the supplier.
Why ask for guesses off the internet?

Since they're non-OEM, these typically take "any" filter of the right thread size so they have places, or orings, spaced for them, aka "landings". The gasket has to land on something to seal. Airplanes make landings on the airstrip. Same for the oil filter.
ie: here a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 filter would fit.
Some can take two filters.

Posted on: 2021/4/7 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Just a small point...if you purchase from one of our Packard suppliers, you will receive the correct filter...also you will help keep our suppliers in business...as they have much of the institual knowledge regarding our old Packards...a few dollars extra, if necessary, is a small price to pay to have suppliers when we really need them...I usually use Max Merritt...I call them on the phone and we visit a bit...we KNOW each other....its nice...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/4/8 12:21
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved