Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 129

BigKev, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1956 Packard 400 Wire Wheels
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew M
See User information
I'm looking at purchasing a set of wire wheels for my 56 400. I am wondering if anyone has used the wire wheels that Wheel Vintiques offers. These wheels are 5x5 bolt pattern. I'll probably order them and tires through Summit since they will mount and balance them. Also what size tires are most close to the originals? I'm thinking 235/75r15. Will this combination of wire wheels and this size whitewall tire fit behind the fender skirts?

Here is a link to wheels at Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-70-5605358

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2021/4/12 20:48
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Packard 400 Wire Wheels
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Someone else would need to say if that particular wheel would work. It says Packard style but one spec I don't see mentioned is the diameter of the center hole. Packard seems to need a fairly large diameter hole to fit over the hub as compared to many cars of the era. As I recall the diameter is slightly under 3 1/2". Most modern wheels tend to have smaller openings and that single measurement has caused grief to several who have needed a wheel and tried to buy or find something from another brand that would work.

On the radial tire, that size is pushing it and a few have reported they had issues with the wheelwell when the tire is fully inflated. Have you considered the bias look radial tires that Summit also sells. The tread is a bit narrower than the metric radials but does look more authentic and has no problem fitting.

Posted on: 2021/4/12 21:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Check Dwight’s site for comparison,
https://www.packardparts.org/

Posted on: 2021/4/12 21:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
GoodYear Super Cushion 235/75R15 tires were a close but entirely satisfactory fit on my 1956 Caribbean.

Posted on: 2021/4/13 10:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The rims of the Vintiques will rust with astonishing speed even in a dry garage.

Posted on: 2021/4/13 11:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Andrew M

My experience with these wires is not exactly in-line with Ross’s comment, but then again garages in Phoenix are not noted for their excessive humidity. I wash the wheels, off the car, about once a year when I do the whitewalls . . . otherwise they are wiped with a moist microfiber cloth. I have not waxed the wheels, but I suspect an annual coat would help in corrosion protection in other climates.

I put a set of wires on both my ’54 and ’48, while I was buying new tires. The whole mess came from Coker, but before you point-out that’s not the same as Vintiques consider the following. Coker ships to Arizona from a California location. When you type the address of Vintiques into Google Maps the building is marked as Coker Tire. On Google Maps street view the building has many ‘Coker Tire’ signs, and ‘Coker Tire’ 18 wheelers outside, but nothing identifying ‘Vintiques’. By the way the name ‘Vintiques’ is not featured on the Coker website, but there is a statement that the wires are made in the USA . . . and the ‘Vintiques’ website states the wheels are made in City of Industry, CA. There is no claim as to the location where the chrome plating is done . . . my bet is 120 miles down the road. They do point-out that its triple chrome plating like there is a different, and lesser, process for chrome plating.

All of those things taken together my bet is ‘Vintiques’ is a subsidiary of Coker . . . in fact the Wikipedia article about Coker Tire states that there are six companies in the Coker Group, but does not specifically state the six company names.

I was told that the wheels are basically tubeless, but may need tubes after 5 years (leakage at the nipples). The ’54 wheels are 7 years old and have not begun that process as yet.

I know from my chrome plated wire wheel experience on motorcycles the chrome flakes off the spokes in very short order. When stainless spokes became available the problem pretty much went away. The ‘Vintique’ wires have stainless spokes and nipples.

If you need the diameter of the center hole I’ll measure it this weekend, but perhaps knowing the wheels fit a ’48 Deluxe, and a ’54 Cavalier the fitment on a ’56 could be inferred.

dp

Posted on: 2021/4/13 18:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Andrew M

This afternoon I measured the diameter of the center hole in my wire wheels at 3 1/2 inch. I also measured the outer diameter of a front wheel hub at 3.450 inch. Since my Vernier wouldn’t fit in the wheel I made both measurements with calipers, and then measured those on the bench with the Vernier. After trying that a few times I’m pretty confident in the accuracy of the values, but once the wheel was re-installed I couldn’t resist trying a feeler gauge between the wheel and hub. I was able to slide, with some force a 0.024 inch gauge into the gap, confirming at least the difference quoted is pretty close.

The only remaining question is the diameter of a hub on your car.

dp

Posted on: 2021/4/17 19:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
your tool reference confuses me, although I'm sure your measurements are as you say. A Vernier is a type of scale, a caliper is a type of tool. There are Vernier calipers, as well as dial calipers and digital calipers. I still use an old one in the shop.

Posted on: 2021/4/18 8:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As a journeyman prototype machinist, the term Vernier is often used as a short for Vernier caliper as opposed to a dial or digital caliper although those latter are also occasionally referred to as Verniers in spite not having a Vernier scale.

Posted on: 2021/4/19 13:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I’m just not a fan of these on any ‘56 but a Caribbean. It crosses a line for me. I love seeing the wire wheel-look hubcaps. The wire wheels were in the accessory catalog, technically you could have them. Doesn’t mean you should have them.

Posted on: 2021/4/19 18:06
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved