Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 33 »

Re: Wat's Clipper coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The transmission is also part of the ElectroMatic setup as it has a governor that the standard transmission does not have. If you sell the unit as a kit for someone to add the accessory to their car, you’ll have to plan on including the transmission as without it the rest is useless.

Posted on: 2021/4/5 11:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Which runs my labor and the price up toward unaffordable.

I think I was hoping to find someone who has one that's missing some parts or has failed parts.

No matter, something will become apparent.

Posted on: 2021/4/5 20:51
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember if you said you have OD but if so, you also need the governor so that could not be part of the EC package for sale. Anyone needing EC parts to reinstall or fix an existing system would most likely have the governor anyway since that would not typically be a part that would interfere with anything and be removed.

On prewar cars the EC could be bought as a stand alone option and there was an adapter plate which formed the back end of the trans to hold the governor. On postwar cars I am not sure if EC could be obtained without also having OD. If it could and an owner now wanted to add just EC he would need to find the adapter plate and trans. I doubt EC only was that popular by itself so would think it not that easy to find the EC only adapter and trans. In that case it would probably be easier to find an OD trans (which are more easily available) and add a new OD along with the EC.

Posted on: 2021/4/5 21:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Yes, apparently, there is an OD unit out back of the trans. There is certainly a block-out pull knob under the dash. It's stuck, so I'm trying to convince some oil to go down the cable.

Frankly, I haven't slithered under the car yet.

Posted on: 2021/4/6 20:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Wat
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know how successful you will be in having oil run down the cable with it in place. Whatever you do get it free before trying to force the issue or the cable housing will likely separate from the pot metal crimp at the end of the bracket. That cable separation is the typical failure of the assy.

The inner wire and outer housing are both steel wire and rust does a good job sticking the two together. On mine I removed the cable from the car and coiled it up in a reasonably tight coil so the curvature opened the outer wire coils in the housing slightly. Left it coiled and let it soak in penetrating fluid for a day or so. After that process the wire freed up and I was able to use oil in the same coiled up manner to get a bit of lube inside. Followed that by hanging the cable up vertically and adding more oil thru the lockout switch hole to let the oil trickle down the length of the cable over a period of time.

Here is the typical failure caused by pushing the knob with a stuck cable wire. The pot metal crimp splits and lets the cable housing slide out. Once that happens the assy is useless. If needed a repair can be made by using split collars to compress the split and the crimp.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0142.jpeg (96.10 KB)
209_606d13189de83.jpeg 1280X485 px

jpeg  IMG_0545.jpeg (42.79 KB)
209_606d1323c78bc.jpeg 1280X530 px

Posted on: 2021/4/6 21:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
THanks for that tip. Yeah, I'm allergic to pushing things too hard without trying to get some lube inside before turning,pulling/pushing. The stuff that broke when I was a teenager has had 40 good years of further rusting to be that much tighter.

I did figure out the 6 vs 8 dilemma for the short wheelbase car. It's as obvious as the nose on my face, but you don't see it until you see it.

https://assets.hemmings.com/uimage/73359396-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1826.jpg (183.39 KB)
224836_60756b7e8e2c7.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/4/13 5:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Does anyone know if 6 and 8 bell housings are the same or different? Sticks, of course. This is (mostly) a no slushbox zone.

Posted on: 2021/4/22 4:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I've wondered that myself....

Posted on: 2021/4/22 9:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I did recently take delivery of a reprint of the Clipper parts manual. I guess that I can look it up and see.

Except I'm talking about a 1951 8 and a 1947 6. The 6 bell might fit a 282 but not a 327.

I'll find out for certain after I pull the 6 and take the tranny off and then the bell, and I can trial fit it and see.

And post the results.

I don't remember if I posted this, but there's a Tremec distributor who is within 100 miles of here who sell an adapter plate for old bells to use new Tremecs. This bolt pattern on the R-11 looks suspiciously like the pattern on a T-10, if I'm not mistaken. That would he'p considerably.

Posted on: 2021/4/22 9:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Got home from work a bit early yesterday and did a few things.

1: vacuumed from under the front seat. The mice had had a field day.
2: checked the 6. It rotates. Check the 8. It's stuck.
3: scored some more lights for the work area. Some I bought, and others were free.

My weekend is laid out for me.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1881.jpg (195.79 KB)
224836_6082f4af9f6ef.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/4/23 11:23
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 33 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved