Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

My 39 money pit’s engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I am going on record as saying that If I ever buy another project where someone has already started dismantling the car...have me committed.

The engine on my car was partially dismantled by the prior owner/ owners and I opted to pull the engine and trans and have the engine rebuilt, replace the clutch, pressure plate , water pump , fuel pump and other misc parts.

The builder is a friend and has done engines for several of my other cars but he does not rush and the engine has been with him for over two years and got picked up today.

Several issues came up that should have been discovered and dealt with a year or more ago...and will now delay installation.
(1j Does anyone have a good picture of the clutch bell crank attachment showing the spring locations and how the unit attaches to the frsame. There is a bolt and large nut like unit with lubricated washers.
( 2) .there is a worn leather boot over the fork. .does anyone sell a replacement?
(3) There is a large hole on the passenger side rear of the block near the bell housing that was open when the engine was pulled. Nothing in the parts supplied to fill or explain it( picture attached)
(4j the fuel pump that came with the car was single diaphram with glass fuel bowl. Not attached to engine and according to Kanter not right for 39 six engine. Replacement pump from Kanter ( dual diaphram...no glass bowl ) will not mount to engine . It is possible that engine was replaced at some point. Photos of castings snow numbers that hopefully can be identified by Owens system to clarify( photos attached)
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
RJ R

Attach file:

jpeg  C706AED9-9AAE-4EC4-9B75-ADF3BEBEADF1.jpeg (9.84 KB)
3810_608a1f757f57d.jpeg 320X240 px

jpeg  636F3A73-39FB-4D03-A417-73477064D1AB.jpeg (157.36 KB)
3810_608a2099c7dc5.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/4/28 21:56
 Top  Print 

Re: My 39 money pit’s engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
(1j Does anyone have a good picture of the clutch bell crank attachment showing the spring locations and how the unit attaches to the frsame. There is a bolt and large nut like unit with lubricated washers. - Sorry can't help
( 2) .there is a worn leather boot over the fork. .does anyone sell a replacement? - I think I got mine from Max
(3) There is a large hole on the passenger side rear of the block near the bell housing that was open when the engine was pulled. Nothing in the parts supplied to fill or explain it( picture attached) - The "road draft tube" mounts there.
(4j the fuel pump that came with the car was single diaphram with glass fuel bowl. Not attached to engine and according to Kanter not right for 39 six engine. Replacement pump from Kanter ( dual diaphram...no glass bowl ) will not mount to engine . It is possible that engine was replaced at some point. Photos of castings snow numbers that hopefully can be identified - Month/year 8/38 probably indicates early production '39 year. If '38 engine I'd think should substantially be the same.

Posted on: 2021/4/28 22:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I have a '37 and a '40, both with sixes; both have glass bowl fuel pumps. I haven't pulled them both to compare, but they look pretty similar to each other as I recall.

Posted on: 2021/4/28 23:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1937 and 1940 6-cylinder fuel pumps may possibly interchange but they are not identical, different part numbers.

Posted on: 2021/4/29 8:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The Shifter Lever Boot Assembly can be had from John Ulrich.

Attach file:

jpg  1067_5a0f84286b7b0.jpg (64.75 KB)
1067_608aba99c9087.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2021/4/29 8:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Bear in mind these clutch bell housing photos are of a '40 Super 8 356 engine. Note, the lower photo is a Before photo.

Maybe easier to check this thread. Howard HH56 provided specs for a clevis pin.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=630&topic_id=5878&order=ASC&status=&mode=0

Attach file:

jpg  antirattleeyebolt.jpg (112.59 KB)
1067_608abd740e1dc.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  antirattlespring.jpg (37.05 KB)
1067_608abd7fda7ec.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2021/4/29 9:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Not sure if the road draft tube on a 6 is similar to the valve cover ventilator tube on a 356, but here's a pic of mine.

Attach file:

jpg  valvecoverventilator.JPG (242.68 KB)
1067_608abf955dff6.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/4/29 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Double diaphragm pump is correct.

The road draft tube is held on with a u-shaped clip and a single bolt and lock washer.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2021/4/29 9:32
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi RJR,

When I R&R'd my engine a couple of years back, I had some issues with the cross member and ended up having to take that 'large nut-like unit with lubricated washers' apart and in trying to move it out of the way, the springs got away on me. I posted on the site for help and this thread:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=210314&keywords=brake+and+clutch+springs
Has some pictures of the springs and their attachment points - might be of some help. I tried getting under my car today with the camera, but I currently have the rear end jacked up and the fuel tank out, so couldn't get a 'good angle' on the springs for you. See if this helps, if not, I can take some more pictures once I get the tank back in. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/4/29 20:14
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved