Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 187

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Clipper Brake fluid and anti-seize
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
I was going to use dot 3 to service my brake system. Notice that I have synthetic dot 3. Is that ok to use? Or should I find non-synthetic?

Also what is recommended to use on the star adjusters for the brake shoes? Looking for something to use as an anti seize for that.

Posted on: 2021/5/4 16:30
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 Clipper Brake fluid and anti-seize
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why not just step up a click and go to DOT 4? Fully compatible with any residues of DOT 3, but offers somewhat better characteristics, including a higher boiling point.

Sure, by all means use some never-sieze type product on the starwheel threads! Absolutely. Just take care not to get any on the brake lining and drum surfaces.

Posted on: 2021/5/4 17:02
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 Clipper Brake fluid and anti-seize
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I use DOT 4 synthetic is all my vintage cars and never a problem. Some say it could damage the brake light switch but I’ve never had that happen but if it did, on a Packard such as yours they are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Sometimes I use Molycote (?) on the star adjuster or even just easy to find disc brake anti-squeak grease.

Posted on: 2021/5/4 19:33
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved