Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clipper tire size
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
I have a '56 Clipper Custom Coupe, and the tires need replacing. The current tires are Goodyear Custom Super Cushion and I think there radials, they were on the car when purchased in 16. The size codes make no sense based on the modern system.
What size tires are any owners of similar cars using today?

DOT code PJHL 6DHR what would this indicate?

Attach file:

jpg  date code.jpg (169.59 KB)
3015_609d747bd73c2.jpg 1564X2013 px

Posted on: 2021/5/13 13:51
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Re: Clipper tire size
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Bill, that’s the tire identification information it’s there to identify a particular batch of tire . . . as in recall. Here’s a link to more info.

DOT Tire Identification Number (TIN) | Tirebuyer.com

The size of the tire is likely on the sidewall 180 degrees opposite this ‘secrete code’. As the regulations have changed over the years I bet there are tires in our garages that have a very minimal amount of marking on the sidewall.
Here’s a link showing all of the information that will be found on a modern tire

What do the markings on my tires mean? (leithacura.com)

If it is a radial there will be an ’R’ is the sizing code. Before the regulations mandated a character for the construction details the manufactures were so proud of the tire being a radial that you’ll see that spelled-out in large letters. Over the years tire sizes were stated in inches, such as 8.00 X 15. Then, in the mid 60’s letter designations showed-up, so you might run into an L X 15 tire. Then the metric system was adopted.

Posted on: 2021/5/13 16:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The original size was 7.60 X 15 so just go to DiamondBack or other tire shop and buy that size or, if radials, they have charts. Note, however, that few radials or even non-radial modern tires will translate directly as tire ratios have changed. Using DiamondBack is probably your best bet of getting the proper fit as they make radials in vintage sizes and with the proper tread appearance.

Posted on: 2021/5/13 20:59
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
All I see opposite is the name of the Model of tire, I was planning on using Duiamond backs so thanks for the sizing info. Could the sizing be on the inside of the tire?

Attach file:

jpg  20210513_125314.jpg (245.72 KB)
3015_609df6a4448e3.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/5/13 23:03
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bill, while visiting Diamondback take a good look at their Auburn Deluxe tires. They are tubeless radials but are made in the old sizes and design. I have a set on my non-Packard in blackwall style and most pleased with the look and performance.

Posted on: 2021/5/14 10:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Just for visual reference, the tires I just picked up are Diamondback Auburn Premium 3 3/8" extra wide whites. These are 225/75-15, so would be the same size as your car.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Tire comparison.jpg (87.51 KB)
1059_60a71335b6a99.jpg 1024X563 px

Posted on: 2021/5/20 20:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Car is in the shop now, i decided that these would be my choice as well, thanks for your responses to the question...

Posted on: 2021/5/21 11:23
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
These are the tires I used on my '54 Clipper, they are radials that are made to look exactly like a ply-bias tire. Skinny tread, pie crust edge. The height ratio is perfect and skinny tread really helps with the low speed turning with no power steering.

Attach file:

jpg  Tires.jpg (284.89 KB)
1_60b66305e0958.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2021/6/1 11:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Well Picked up the '56 with the Diaomd backs, the car does not have power steering, but feels like it does now. These tires just make is much easier to handle, great product highly recommended

Posted on: 2021/7/20 11:39
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved