Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 155

Packard Don, Jack Vines, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cleaning Whitewall Tires
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pckrd320
See User information
Does anyone know the best way ro clean whitewall tires that have started to turn brown? The tires are fairly new, but have brown around the edges. I've used SOS pads and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I just wonder if there is something more effective.

Posted on: 2021/5/19 19:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Cleaning Whitewall Tires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not sure I've got the spelling correct but for many years I've used a chemical whitewall cleaner called Westley's Bleeche-White, usually applied via a Scotch-Bite pad, with total satisfaction. Once a year was generally enough to maintain them bright and white for the duration of the season.

I'm sorry to hear about the brown color bleeding into the white. I don't know if its true but I've been told that's the result of a failure of a barrier membrane within the tire carcass designed to prevent that migration of dark pigment into the white rubber. Fortunately not a problem I've experienced with my older Lesters and more recently, Bedford Coach tires.

Posted on: 2021/5/19 21:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I use Spray Nine cleaner, applied to a dry tire, scrubbed with a fairly stiff brush and rinsed off before it has a chance to dry. A second light application to the wet tire will finish the job, followed by a thorough rinse.
This works well on yellowed and dirty whitewalls but not sure what affect it will have on the brown stains.

Posted on: 2021/5/19 21:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yes, Bleche Wite works great. Don’t use SOS pads because tiny wire pieces can embed in the white and rust later, which is very difficult to remove. I’ve seen it under Westley and Black Magic brands.

Posted on: 2021/5/19 22:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
According to Diamond Back tires, you should never use any products containing bleach:

Quote:
No bleach! Any ammonia based product will do, we have had the best luck with Simple Green and a cloth towel. Common yellow and green household sponges can take care of any stubborn stains.

Posted on: 2021/5/20 2:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I've had great success with a product from Casterol called Super Clean -- spray it on a wipe with a brush and hose it off. Great for brake dust on wheels also.

Posted on: 2021/5/20 5:55
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Diamond backs are different type of ww as I understand it. I follow their instructions on those good results. On regular brand ww that I have I use old school methods ( scotch brite comet cleanser and Westleys) with satisfactory results. I think the newer wsw by the non classic tire companies are of lesser quality material and tend to bleed the white and black together. The specialty tires should be better if for no other reason than the cost per tire.

Posted on: 2021/5/20 8:44
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'd not be using bleche-white anymore. They were bought out by Black Magic and have a new formula. (This ? was on my other brand sites too.) First thing they did was raise the price, to pay for the buyout, and eliminate refills size bottles.
I've used Wesley's stuff for 50+ years and run out of the old stuff, bought a new bottle, and it turned my new black wall michelins brown. Had a tough time cleaning off the scum. I wrote them, no response. No issue with the old formula.

I've bought sodium metasilicate sol'n which is the main cleaner, and make my own, now. Works fine. Some huckster came by a few years ago and sold me some pre-diluted, worked just as good as the bleche-white.
There's some migration that occurs with the tire compounds when the brown color encroaches on the white wall at the boundary. Not sure it can be reversed.
I wouldn't buy those brand tires again or form that supplier. Someone doesn't know how to make WWs. I'm hearing more and more of this, so someone's substituting cheaper tires to the classic market.

Posted on: 2021/5/20 10:28
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved