Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Shudder
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pipesargent
See User information
I have a 48 22nd Series 288 engine that when I am in first gear and begin to release the clutch and if I put any pressure on the gas peddle the engine will shudder until the clutch is fully engaged. This does not happen when I go to second or third. I pretty much have to let the engine idle speed start the car in motion as I release the clutch. Now I have checked the free play and that is accurate according to the service manual and I have tried checking the engine mounts as best as I could and mount to trans bolts are tight but haven’t tried the bolts to frame yet. Any suggestions…. I am hoping I don’t have to pull the clutch as it is not slipping or giving any other issues other then from dead stop to go.

Posted on: 2021/5/25 9:10
 Top  Print 

Re: Shudder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming there is no grease on the clutch disc then in addition to checking the condition of engine and trans mounts also check and see if there is a snubber bar on your car mounted between a bracket on the trans and another to the frame. This was an item introduced in the late 30s and carried on in various forms until the 51 models.

Not all models needed them but it was added to help control what Packard called clutch chatter. The 3 point engine mounts on the models prior to 51 could allow the engine to shift slightly fore and aft and the bar was added to help control this motion. While the problem was mostly in reverse, it could also happen in low as the car started out from a stop.

Check to make sure the brackets are tight and the rubber bushings at each end at the rod/bracket connection have not deteriorated. Bar was adjusted fairly snugly to add a slight bit of tension to the engine/trans assy to stabilize any fore/aft movement and keep it to a minimum.

Here is a 21st series version which would be very similar if not identical to what would have been on any 22nd series models equipped with the bar. If your car does not have one perhaps something could be fabricated and tried if no other reason for the shudder is found.

Attach file:

jpg  snubber .jpg (166.59 KB)
209_60ad1bcab13e3.jpg 1200X801 px

Posted on: 2021/5/25 10:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pipesargent
See User information
This is great info! I actually saw the snubber bar last night when inspecting the motor mounts. I did give it a tighten a bit only like a 1/4 turn as it seems pretty tight. I will be looking for the transmissions mounts to the frame tonight but having a hard time locating. Thanks again!!

Posted on: 2021/5/25 11:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The trans mounts are hard to see from below. One side of the mount is bolted toward the front of trans just behind the bellhousing on each side of the transmission. A rubber block is vulcanized between two pieces of metal and the other side mounts to the main support crossmember at an angle fairly hidden from below. The rubber blocks could be hard as a rock or even separated from the metal on one side. If yours are bad, as far as I know the only options are to have them revulcanized by Steele Rubber or maybe check with Kanter. He had mounts for some models repro'd and if yours is one of those and he still has any the price for the repro pair was less than the revulcanizing service.

The front mount is also known to deteriorate quite badly. That consists of two pieces of metal bolted together with a sandwich of rubber squeezed between them. Steele does have new rubber pairs for that one.

Here is the front mount but I don't have good photos of those on the trans.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0076.jpg (120.69 KB)
209_60ad27693c403.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2021/5/25 11:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pipesargent
See User information
Again thanks for the pics and info! I will check in the condition of the mounts. According to the Shop Manual and Shop Updates changing the clutch is the last resort after checking all other options and by the sound of it I am leaning towards the mounts being old and or loose.

Posted on: 2021/5/25 12:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
No way to know what condition your car is in, but typically clutch chatter comes form some sort of contamination of the clutch face or warping of the flywheel surface. A rear main seal leak is a typical culprit. Sometimes bearing wear is involved. You might be able to adjust it out or you might be in for more than just a clutch change. If it's not harmful, as in stalling or slipping at speed, then maybe best to leave alone depending how much you drive it and plan it for later. Probably need to put it in the air and inspect.

Posted on: 2021/5/25 19:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Pipesargent,
to PackardInfo. I invite you to include your '48 22nd Series Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/5/25 20:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pipesargent
See User information
Just uploaded my cars info into the registry.

Posted on: 2021/5/26 9:52
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pipesargent
See User information
I have to agree with you…. I just use it to go to car shows and ice cream or a short cruise not driving across country with it so I might just let sleeping dogs lie. Thanks again for the advise.

Posted on: 2021/5/26 9:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Pipesargent wrote: Just uploaded my cars info into the registry.
for including your '48 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/5/26 14:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved