Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Painting your cars hidden areas
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
When painting your cars, what was the original color for the under body area, the back side of fenders, the back side of the hood side panels and the inside floor and cowl?
I have seem them painted black and I have seen them painted the main body color.
On my 42 it looks like the cowl was originally a reddish primer under the cowl pad and bare steel up under and behind the dash

Any thoughts
Thanks

Posted on: 2021/5/26 10:33
 Top  Print 

Re: Painting your cars hidden areas
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Standard operating procedure was that smaller parts including hood, fenders and splashers were dipped in black enamel then baked before the finish coat was sprayed on. Overspray was the rule of the day.

Body shells were welded up complete then primed by spray with red primer. After that was baked and sanded the color coats were sprayed on. Underbodies were given the thinnest possible coat of the cheapest possible black paint. Obscure areas, like under your dash and insides of doors got nothing. Firewalls were painted body color 'cause the gun was in the guys hand as the body passed by.

Posted on: 2021/5/26 12:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
Great information - that helps a lot

It also validates what I am finding.
A red oxide color of primer under the cowl pads and it explains the black I am finding in some areas under the paint

Posted on: 2021/5/26 12:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
What Ross said is what I see on my car. Red oxide primer on the inside of the body where the exterior paint didn't touch (interior face of doors, package tray area, etc). Bare metal inside the doors with some sort of sound deadener (asphalt?), bare metal under the dash, etc. Those places all have surface corrosion on them now.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/5/26 15:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved