Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: ‘49 22nd bumper jack
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Yup, 48-50 is even more of a clearance issue. Jack frame up with wheel hanging on suspension. Tall lift required

Posted on: 2021/5/10 9:50
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
As far as the “car” goes what is the difference with junior to senior , my car is a 2262

Posted on: 2021/5/10 10:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I always carried a hydraulic bottle jack (and still have it).

Posted on: 2021/5/10 10:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Wheelhorse76 wrote:
As far as the “car” goes what is the difference with junior to senior , my car is a 2262

For starters, the seniors are 7" longer. For the many other differences I'd recommend that you go to the literature section and pull up the 1948 Databook. Most any question you may have regarding the differences should be answered.

Link to the '48 Databook

Posted on: 2021/5/10 11:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
This is one of those, the PO probably didn't know either, that's why you have 3 jacks in there.
I'd inspect the bumpers and see if any lift sections fit them correctly, hole or no hole, and sell the rest on ebay.

This is pretty common on old cars, over time the jacks disappear and every collector wants the correct jack for their vehicle. Getting the right one is not well documented, except of course, if you're "OD" and have a library of P jack pix for just such occasions.
The issue with most of these early jacks was they did not have a fail safe, and could at a moment notice completely collapse/go down under weight. So you never get under the car when using one of these. Strictly for road side emergency use to change a flat, and make sure it's in working order and on flat ground before you attempt to use one. Some were better than others in sturdiness. I'd threw away the flimsy ones. {In GM's you could interchange the bumper hookup piece and pedestal.} And only lift as high as necessary to get the tire off/on. Get an AAA card instead. A can of fix a flat is another consolation. They used to get wobbly as you went up. I don't think the Govt would approve these today and certainly not OSHA. It's probably a carry over consolation to the solid tire era, when pneumatic tires appeared and roadside flats happened. Now you're lucky if you get something that resembles a spare or something you dunk in your coffee and some combo tool that removes lugs and jacks.

Posted on: 2021/5/10 13:53
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
@fish n’ Jim
Thanks for your comments and everyone else as well . Again this such a great forum and so many generous people .
As far as my situation goes I’m not really concerned with “ correctness” I’m just goinna put this bathtub on the road and have fun . Just thought it would be cool to have a old jack and the lug wrench in the back as well . After all this car has only 26000 actual miles and has had a very good life and storage .

Posted on: 2021/5/10 20:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Once upon a time (think early 70's), I helped the owner of a couple of bathtubs (Granddad) change the tires on his cars using the jacks that came with them. I remember the pins and aligning them, and so on and so forth. I also remember that, especially in the rear, the body had to rise considerably to get the wheel assembly to clear the sheetmetal. I think that the front could be coaxed out using a bottle jack under the suspension, but that was a while ago.

I haven't taken a wheel off of either of the current crop. I'm probably past due to buy a good floor jack with decent reach/lift.

I'n my stuff, I have a 22/23 series jack. I think it's triangular. I know it has the proper pin arrangement. I'll have to (try to) remember to look for/at it when I'm back to the house this weekend. I should sell it. Damned if I'd use it.

Do people change tires any more, or do they just call AAA???

Posted on: 2021/5/26 5:12
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Came back to the house this weekend and hunted up the jack. For no good reason, it's not buried somewhere but is close to the surface.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1996.jpg (111.77 KB)
224836_60b2dada82a78.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/5/29 19:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Wat_Tyler that looks like a jack that Reedy & Shaub associate with a Senior cars, however the exact text of the caption is “1948 – 1950 Packard Jack #419541 (Senior and some Junior Models)”. If the column is square that’s the one. The Eight and Deluxe Eight used the ‘Vee’ shaped column exclusively. Reedy & Shaub also point out that all of the 22nd & 23rd series cars used the same part number for the jack, but I suspect it was a part number for everything in the cardboard box . . . including the box. The parts catalog for group 16.0066 supports that conclusion, in addition there are separate listings for the spark plug/fender shroud wrench, and the jack handle/lug wrench, and a listing for both wrenches combined, but interestingly not a separate part number for the jack, either alone, or with the cardboard box.

The 22nd & 23rd Senior jack base appears to be quite similar, perhaps identical, to the 21st series equipment.

dp

Posted on: 2021/5/29 20:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I did fail to mention that the post is rectangular.

The mechanism seems somewhat light-duty to me.

I have no idea why that jack has stayed with me all this time. No lug wrench/handle.

Posted on: 2021/5/30 7:20
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved